Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how the chabot bike loop is. I know its mostly if not all fireroads. But I was wondering if theres alot of climbing, how long it is, stuff like that. I am thinking of doing a massive ride when I am down in the bay, including this loop.

GOAT

·
Registered
906 Posts
What are you looking to include on your ride? While it's not a bad place to ride, I can think of several places that are more dynamic than Chabot. El Corte de Madera, Annadel, Demo, Tamarancho, and China Camp are all much more fun, with plenty of singletrack.

There's a fair amount of climbing at Chabot. And once the rain hits, the dirt becomes clay and is next to unrideable.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,731 Posts
There are many possible loops that can be anywhere from 11 to 20 miles and 1400' to 2500' or so. It's all fireroad except for a few double track.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I know about china camp and the rest of them. I just wanted to hit up east bay trails because I visit the montclair area often. Sometimes what I do is climb from m.c. to redwood park. Do east ridge to canyon, connect to redwood road, make a left to mcdonald, climb mcdonald, go to down to grass valley and then loop around back to redwood park via jackson grade and skyline. My plan was to do that loop with also adding the chabot bike loop. I am basically just looking to pack on massive miles as my training permits.

Sorry about the essay!

GOAT

·
bicycle rider
2,699 Posts
Chabot is good if you want to get miles and vertical feet in, ride through woods without seeing a lot of people, but it's not challenging or interesting terrain, for the most part. Fire roads. It is nice to get away from people tho, and Chabot has some pretty empty places. I like to do a long loop sometimes for training. Climbing McDonald will definitely make you strong! There's a really pretty fire road on the far side of Redwood rd that's hard to find and nice to ride.

The part of the loop that's near the lake gets more foot traffic and is boring terrain.

Morgan

·
tumble jen
11 Posts
used to ride chabot a lot especially the half-marathon trail loop (start from west side of the marina and end at the east side of the marina). the terrain pretty much consists of rolling climbs on fireroads. though it lacks technical challenges, you still get a pretty good workout.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,731 Posts
NorCAMBA Prez said:
If you incorporate some Joaquin Miller into this, climb to the very top of West Ridge, and do the entire Chabot Loop, I think you can get over 30 miles in with lots of climbing.
In the same vein, I'd rather do the Dimond Canyon, JMP, Redwood loop. About 24 miles and 3500' or so, and plenty of fun single track, and one fast fireroad downhill.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,065 Posts
Chobot is great training, and the loop you describe, (Redwood+chabot) would be around 28 miles. plenty of climbing and enough scenery to be better than the gym. no real bells or whistles, just mindless fireroad but good for timing and benchmarking if you live close.
Unfortunately, like others pointed out already, Chabot is a claypit this time of year and remains so until late march, except if the east bay gets 7-10 days with no precipitation before then.
this is just not a good time of year to ride in the east bay without bringing home alot of mud and teraring up the trails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.