Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post any chatter or prerace intel here.

Who all is going? What's the best camp site?

Also feel free to post entries for sale for those who can no longer make it. I'm looking for one for a friend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
I will be there racing. I’m not much of a camper so I am getting a hotel or air bnb in town. I am also flying in for it.

For people that have done it prior or know the area, what kind of tire setup works best? I know last year it was a little sloppy. Living in so cal, I literally only know dry and dusty terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I will be there racing. I'm not much of a camper so I am getting a hotel or air bnb in town. I am also flying in for it.

For people that have done it prior or know the area, what kind of tire setup works best? I know last year it was a little sloppy. Living in so cal, I literally only know dry and dusty terrain.

It was not sloppy. That dirt up there is sand based and more rain the better it gets. 98% hero dirt last year. Only problem was visibility as it was raining during the first two stages.

For tires you definitely don't want anything too aggressive like an assguy or shorty. The trails are flat, fast, flowy, and reward carrying momentum and pedaling whenever possible. Not a single section on course where you will need to brake because it's steep, only for the corners. I ran exo tires last year, but was definitely scared because there are a few jagged rocks out there. Literally only a few sections, but I'm always worried about flatting when I'm not running DH tires.

My suggestion, run your favorite tire up front, and for the back maybe someone a little faster rolling than your used to. (Assuming you ride "enduro" terrain normally).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sweet that is reassuring. I run the proverbial dhf/dhr2 combo but did run a minion ss at mt. Shasta and it felt great. With the lack of braking you are describing, that may be the choice again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.