Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Congratulations on your great ride! and thanks for all the pics.
Cervo really does look like SoCal. With that note be careful on those rocks. I took a bad spill in SoCal and will not be riding until next year.

If you are into road bikes your in roadie heaven! If you have the time, check out a few bike shops.

· Premium Member
10,672 Posts
JC - Great pictures, go the rocky terrain. know it well.... Some impressive vista views from the pictures at the top...

Hope your leg heals up well and with no further issues...

Sweet to see the bikes handling all day epic rides. They are real RFX's, not weener RFX's....

· Registered
13 Posts
Nice photos
We run a mtb tour company there (we are based in val Argentina above san Remo & Arma di Taggia) in a village callled molini di Triora

Looks like you did the damn steep climb to the top of pizza d'vigno....which way did you go down? we tried to follow the trail marked on the map but it was impassable!!!!

Here are some photos of our area

· Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Love the shot of your hitchhiker.
Beautiful countryside.
Wished I had my bike when I was in Spain near the Med.
Glad you're makin the most of it.

· Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
LadyP,

Sorry for not answering you earlier, but I had to refer to the maps I was using of the area, which I now found.

Basically, we took 73c all the way up until the red dot/dash trail from the Church at Cervo. First, we had a long climb by road and under the newly constructed bridges via 710 through Pairola, then we continued North West to 73c, meeting a bike race course along the way to Colletto, then to Pizzo d'Evigno. If one continues on the 73c, I believe it will lead around the back (North) of the mountain away and down from Pizzo d'Evigno. We made that mistake for a while. It's ok riding, but not spectacular and has thorns, despite the great views.

We also tried riding 711 through Evigno and barely made it past it. We thought we could take the red trail from there, but it was unpassable and poorly marked, let alone being god knows how many meters of vertical climbing.

On the way back we either went down the way we came, or across 73c down to Cervo by the radio towers. That's a long ride and gets us into trouble when we miss dinner with the family.

I want to try the Sentiero Balcone Mediterraneano on the way back one day. Hopefully it's nice and rideable.

We'll be going back in early Spring, so it will likely be much colder, so I'll bring my fullface and this time, some armor in case I wipe out. The brutal sections will only likely get more brutal during that time, especially the one by the pig farm that has the one with the big balls. I took shots, of course ;)

What I love about riding here is the variety, fromtechnical XC to DH, along with heavy climbs.

· Registered
13 Posts
We have seen many of those MTB signs, however most are on road or fire break road and we dont use them, maybe only for linking thngs.

We are currently clearing a lot of trails from Cervo (singletrack), and above Imperia. There are some local groups also building new stuff.

Also a lot going on in Calizzano which is very similar riding to Finale Ligure but without the crowds and the associated problems with erosion.

Italy does not hand out money to clear trails, so it is very hit and miss as to whats actually shown on the maps.

Higher up above San Remo and Val Argentina (Triora) is truly spectacular we have cleared approx 30 singletrack descents with with between 7-178km long and 800-2000m vertical.

If you ever want some advice on routes or guides let us know our site is www.rivierabike.co.uk contact details are on there

buon feste

ciao

· Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
LadyP,

Do you know if the Red Square trail/Sentiero Balcone Mediterraneo is rideable? This is the section of trail that goes over the top of the mountain from Ciappa to Mt. Ciappa, then La Colla to Pizzo d'Evigno. Between Ciappa and Colle Cervo (and points east), it's combined with 73c going to Andora Cervo.

Next time we're out there, we would likely do some bigger rides and that way is mostly downhill direct with some good mileage.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.