Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have much time to caption right now, but I'm currently at Cervo Italy, which is near Imperia. The views of the Mediterranean are unbelievable and we're riding some unbelievable trails that usually start about 300 meters above sea level and traverse several mountains. So far we've gotten to about 750 meters on day two, with 998m being our goal at Pizzo d'Evigno. We got "close", but needed several more hours to go down into a valley, then ride up, and back, and we were close to dinner time with the family.

We also followed a former race course for an mtb race, but it was extremely rocky. Nearly all the trails at the top are super-technical, with broken rock, lots of steep boulders, and lots of stuff to throw one around.

Took a really nasty 45kmh fall descending on day two from 750m, about 100 meters down, but had to keep going, then ride the next day :nono:

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,030 Posts
Sweet photos!! I want to ride in Italy but I was planning to go to Tuscany. I thought Tuscany is where it is at in Italy, am I wrong? Cervo looks pretty amazing, anyone know how it compares to Tuscany? Maybe I can do both ...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Very nice pictures, enjoy your time in Liguria!

If you have time don't miss a day or two with the Finale Freeride crew in Finale Ligure(less than an hour away from Imperia). The trails there will blow your mind.

I spent three days riding with those guys last Summer and had an amazing time. Some of the trails are easy to "bike shuttle" (bike on the road and fire-road up and hit the singletrack down), particularly the trails overlooking Varigotti (think Earthed 5). The trails from Pian dei Corsi and Colle del Melogno would be a slog without a shuttle vehicle but are much longer and with more elevation drop (almost 3,000ft per run).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Comparing Cervo to Tuscany is like comparing Wasilla, Alaksa to California. One is a little hamlet, the other is a state. Tuscany vs. Liguria is the right comparison.

Dude, Tuscany borders Liguria, so northern Tuscany is similar to southern Liguria. So while they're not too different, they're not the same either. Liguria is more mountainous, with the top of the appenines running through it. Cold inland, warm on the coast, sort of like California. The Tuscany most people think of is rolling hills, and not gnarly enough to be MTBer territory. But there's also plenty of good biking there in the Appenine areas.

Check out google maps.

Tuscany is where it's at in Italy? Dude, all of Italy rocks. For some reason Tuscany became "hot" a few decades ago, but it has become some a cliche that everywhere else in italy is hot.

Mountain biking in Italy? Where can I start? Gran Sasso / Abruzzo / Dolomites / Val d'Aosta / Friuli / Stelvio / Gran Paradiso. Other than the plains of the Po river valley, pick a spot and have fun.

2_Tires said:
Sweet photos!! I want to ride in Italy but I was planning to go to Tuscany. I thought Tuscany is where it is at in Italy, am I wrong? Cervo looks pretty amazing, anyone know how it compares to Tuscany? Maybe I can do both ...

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our ride yesterday was not so great, as we took a different route to try to get to Pizzo d'Evigno, which gave us 500 meters of elevation, over 16km via road, and unfortunately, brought us to a dead end with 500 meters left to go. The trails only went straight vertical from there, so today we're going back the route we took on day two, where we were only 250 meters away.

Along the way in the villages, we saw several memorials to people from there that all died in 1945. It seems some were in the resistance against the Nazi-Fascist parties.

is there a word worse then hate???
Oh, plenty. I've been called plenty worse, but we're going to be riding some more today. Not fully healed, but I can ride plenty well. The impinged nerve in my right arm is a problem with gripshift, but I figured it out.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
The terrain looks a lot like Southern California. My wife and I were in South Africa this summer and noticed how much of that country looks like SoCal as well.

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So we finally made it to Pizzo d'Evigno today. It was a rough ride and from the beginning we both felt like we bonked. Towards the top, the trail turned straight up and became a hike, especially since there was cow-crap everywhere from the herd that grazes there (about 850m).

We were a bit worried because of the dark clouds and the fact that it was low-lying, so we knew we would be somewhere in those clouds at the top. Luckily, no rain, just very cold and winds. Surprisingly, lots of bugs. We climbed the last 150m or so, took our rest and pics, viewed where we came from (sea level), and started our rocky, high speed run back, which took about 1:20.

We even had a hitchhiker on the gf's bike, which likely was there the whole ride.

·
Natural body armor
2,170 Posts
Awesome pics, now I'm feeling home sick!!
I lived 4 years in Toscana (what you call Tuscany) and 2 yrs in Liguria, but did mostly hiking when I was there.
Sound like your having alot of fun.
Thanks for the pics.
ZT

I guess I'll go hit Demo this week-end to cure the home-sickness... ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.