Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried ceramic hybrid bearings yet? I'm looking at the ones from Boca for my intense 5.5.

·
Registered
391 Posts
They have been discribed as a solution is search of a problem. Unless you have big money resting on winning a time trial there is no reason to consider these. Even then they are a maybe. They were designed for high speed application, multiply your wheel rpm by a 100 and your still to slow to warrant them. On a mtb. a waste of money.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. They don't list radial load info on them so I'm waiting to hear from Boca. I just discovered 4 of my bearing races damaged so I need new ones for sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
DU brass for suspension pivots

Supposedy, There is limit to how little rotation a ball bearing can take. The balls need to roll completely over and then some. Even at that, they will not be happy. That is why some high end makes (Turner?) use bushings and not bearings.

DU brass is a powder-formed metal with oil in the void spaces. Metal impregnated with oil. The metal is porus like a sponge. Pressure causes it to ooze out. With good DU bearings, a suspension frame should go longer before developing side play. Also, impact resistance whould be better than with bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.