Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you 29er warriors out there know if there are any mountain bike worthy 700c rims with ceramic braking surfaces? I'd like to run one for the rear wheel of a Surly Karate Monkey. :madman: I've been banging my head trying to find one, but to no avail.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Mavic open pro

mdavenpo2000 said:
Do any of you 29er warriors out there know if there are any mountain bike worthy 700c rims with ceramic braking surfaces? I'd like to run one for the rear wheel of a Surly Karate Monkey. :madman: I've been banging my head trying to find one, but to no avail.
I know comes in ceramic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
there where some mavic touring rims with ceramic coating

T519 and some others

but they are not in production anymore

maybe you will find some somewhere (mavic importer, or shop who is sells some randonneur and touring stuff )

i've also tried out my singlespeed-crosser-wheelset with mavic open pro rims (road bike) ceramic coated
works i ve used them with a bit more pressure.

but

if you ride ceramic coated road specific rims you'll need tu use also brakepads for road brakes because the coated part of the rim is not that much wide

s

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
2xPneu said:
I'd like to get a T520 ceramic in 32h, if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know. Just need one...RC
First off, try EuroAsia Imports, they're LBS only, but have yours, try them. Secondly, from many years experience, the ceramic is niceon the road, but in an MTB application, rock contact causes chipping, and once than happens (often very quickly in the life of the wheel) they feel like poop. Dents in the rim often cause flaking too, they just never worked out all that well, in my experience. I think Mavic was happy that discs came around, they got pretty sick of hearing from pissed off folks screaming warranty, with 2 month old CrossMax rim brake wheels that had gone south. Good luck though!

·
Registered
931 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Secondly, from many years experience, the ceramic is niceon the road, but in an MTB application, rock contact causes chipping, and once than happens (often very quickly in the life of the wheel) they feel like poop.
Thanks Mendon-

I've been using a ceramic Reflex tubular rim on the front of my do-it-all CX fixie for the past two years and have beat that thing to death over rocks and what-all with zero issues regarding ceramic wear, chipping, etc.

That being said, the ceramic coating on the Reflexes seems smoother and somehow more integrated into the rim surface that the T520 ceramics (I had a set in 36H that I sold to Mike C). The T520 coating seemed way more abrasive and more like a topcoat than the Reflex ceramics, and I could see how that might tend to flake/chip moreso than what's on the Reflexes...Rod

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mendon for the Mavic T520 tip.

I've been using a ceramic rear on my Surly 1x1 for about a year. I did pinch flat in Tahoe, denting the rim (resulting in some of the ceramic flaking off). But, I've got a lot of hours and miles on it since then with no additional flaking. I have no plans to replace the rim at this point.

The advantags of ceramic versus machined aluminum have been totally worth it for my style of riding, which is to grind out climbs to the top of long downhill (fast) single track trails. In wet conditions or dry, the ceramic rims offer consistent and superior braking.

By the way, I run an Avid BB7 in the front of my 1x1.

Thanks again for keeping the thread alive.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Interesting.....So, I wondering, not doubting you on the Reflexes, but could they be CD's, and not ceramics? the CD's are grey too, look very similar, and would be alot more durable overall. Of course, the Cermaics do state it in no uncertain terms on the rim so...... At any rate, that's cool their workin' for ya, rock on:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.