Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a Reba fork on my GF X-Cal and it's currently set to 80mm. Do you guys know of any person and/or shop in the general Central New Jersey area that is willing to open that mother sucker up and take the travel limit spacer out to make it a 100mm fork? I ask because many shops are unwilling to touch forks for warranty purposes. Quite frankly, I'm not worried about that sort of thing, I just want a competent person to extend the travel of my fork.

If I had more confidence in my wrenching abilities, I'd do it myself. However, I'm unwilling to experiment on what is my only mountain bike and probably the most expensive fork I've owned.

Thanks in advance.

·
Broken
417 Posts
This is also likely something you can do by yourself with fair ease. It really is very simple.

Which model reba is it an year, and is it air or coil?

You should ask this in Let's talk about Suspension.

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2005, air (29er). I've seen a bunch of diagrams and instructions on how to do it, I just a) don't have complete confidence in my abilities with forks and b) due to this lack of experience, I'm not really willing to wreck my nice fork.

I suppose I can give it a shot, but honestly, if I mess something up, I'm going to be pissed, and quite frankly, I'll be right back where I started, this time with a broken fork because most shops generally don't do fork maintenance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I did mine & a friends & it's pretty simple (I added a spacer to both). The snap rings are really the only problem I see without the proper tool. The directions from Sram are really good. I'm still surprised there aren't any shops willing to do it as it would seem like the slow time of the year & the guys don’t have a lot to do right now.

·
Broken
417 Posts
KirtM said:
I did mine & a friends & it's pretty simple (I added a spacer to both). The snap rings are really the only problem I see without the proper tool. The directions from Sram are really good. I'm still surprised there aren't any shops willing to do it as it would seem like the slow time of the year & the guys don't have a lot to do right now.
The snap ring removal is truly the hardest thing to do, but still can easily be done if you keep your head with you.

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I actually did find a few places that were willing to do it for a reasonable amount.

If this fork becomes a second fork someday, maybe I'll take a crack at taking it apart and putting it back together so I feel more comfortable doing so with future forks.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.