Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys, even with much of the thanksgiving snow melting the trails are sucking for mtb in the Plymouth/Thornton area.

If you are going out or hoisting a fat bike ride please post, i will do the same. Also if the trail conditions are great some where please let us know.

Last winter I mostly rode snowmobile and hiking trails in the Plymouth , Campton, Rumny area. Would like to make it down to beer brook more and more packed bike/hiking trails.

Going to try to make it out this weekend 6-7th maybe do some trails in smarts brook let me know if any are interested :)

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
Going to do a global fat bike day ride this Saturday 12/6 in Conway on a local snowmobile trail. Weather forecast is looking iffy but we'll see.

One of the best rides I did last winter was in the Zealand Notch area near Twin Mountain. A bit north of you but easy access from I93. We parked on Rt. 302 and took the tunnel under the highway then followed the (unplowed) road to its end and continued to Zealand hut. The trail from the end of the road to the Wilderness boundary is a blast both up & down - rides like a modern flow trail. It gets a ton of hiker traffic so is pounded out well, with a lot of the hikers pulling sleds for overnight trips to the hut. Can't wait to hit it again. We also did some hike-a-bike partway up the Sugarloaf trail for the DH; good stuff.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting guys, i would like to make the trip up to the Zealand trailhead at some point, I dont mind driving. I moving at some point this winter to the house i bought in Meredith so a trip up to Conway wouldn't be so bad.

I also wanted to start a thread about best hiking trails to ride a fat on. Maybe we can post here too.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was in the woods yesterday in Meredith and the snow crust is getting pretty thick. It was raining last night too so today would probably be pretty good man wish i had some time and energy to ride :(

·
Live Free & Ride
1,577 Posts
Chainline Cycles has built a groomer so there is a good chance at least some of the singletrack down more in the lakes region (maintained by Central NH NEMBA) will be groomed for riding.

I'll keep this thread posted...
Great to hear Eric and the crew are grooming this year! Great memories of early years riding with them and discovering the lakes region. CL has always done a superb job building, maintaining and advocating great trails in the area. Owning a snow bike this year, I will definitely be heading back for some of that hero snow for sure!

·
Registered
93 Posts
just a heads up Franklin is riding pretty well right now and with a bit more traffic in spots it will be perfect for fat biking.

Traffic decreases as you head away from the parking lot but whaleback, sniper, moose gulley, pine snake, bee were all in great shape. Mighty Chicken was a bit sketch but doable. No one has ventured up to rusty yet and it looked like salmon has not seen wheels either. I was second wheels on lost wall and cellar hole. Old bench was ridden in well though. I broke trail on caddywhompus on the way back. Looked like Rogue had maybe 1-2 riders on it so far but I skipped it.

I'm trying to figure out some way that Central NH riders can crowdsource trail reports/maintenance for Fat biking. I could post stuff to Central NH NEMBA's blog if folks would keep me updated, or I could start an email list / Google group that people could subscribe to, or we could just do it here....

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the update on FF, i might hit it up tomorrow morning

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might be looking for more but a riding buddy started this site to maintain and report train conditions which works well for year-round reporting: https://www.trailhub.org/
that looks cool but I'm thinking something a little more grassroots. Just something simple but really valuable to a small subset of people riding fat bikes in this area. Probably end up just being me updating this thread when I ride and posting to the CNH NEMBA blog. If I can get people to follow suit maybe I can post their reports on our blog as well and before you know it we've got a mini network of trail reporters. I can dream anyway...

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK. it was written to cover roughy what you are looking for so PM me and I will put you in touch with my buddy to learn more. If nothing else you will be introduced to a good guy / rider / skier / beer drinker in VT...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a quick ride at franklin falls this morning, to mirror must of what theslav stated, its pretty good riding. The road up to rusty bucket was hard to make it up but there was two tracks on rusty bucket. Over all it was pretty good. Best trail was Bee trail going down and mighty chicken.

If I have time I might hit up Waterville Valley xc ski trails in the morning

·
think
853 Posts
You make it up to Waterville?

Was over at Franklin on Saturday, it's pretty good. May be up there tomorrow evening as well if it's not pouring.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, never made it up to WV, theres a very small chance that i could get up there tonight. If I can get my ducks in a row my go up there this morning. I'll give updates if i do. Im in the tale end of a major house renovation and thats where 110% of time and energy is going. Hopefully we will be moved in with in a month. Taking a good three to four weeks off to get settled, rest, and ride a bunch!

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
Went to Zealand last weekend but our timing was off. They had a few inches of fresh dry snow so it was slow going (still faster than skis). We were following ski tracks on old packed trail so there was a 3" median strip of snow right in the middle. Turned around at the end of the summer road. The return trip was a blast, particularly the snowmobile trail near the trailhead - thankfully there were no slednecks coming up as we descended at Mach 10!

I expect this week will see the start of overnight guests at Zealand Hut, which should mean sleds packing & smoothing the trail. Give it a couple weeks and it should be much better. Think snow!

·
Live Free & Ride
1,577 Posts
May need to head up toward that way for snow conditions. Here in Dover the winter is going in reverse, with no snow and ice melt. :(
Is Zealand one of the better places to take a fat bike for packed trails up north? Have also heard good things about Waterville Valley with all the XC skiing trails. Really hoping the Dec thaw is short lived and we get back into winter soon. I've got lots of local areas that will be perfect with some packed snow!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Waterville Valley--I ski, bike in no snow season. What you have in WV is 40 miles of groomed xc ski trails , about have of which is free and un-restricted, Bikes , dogs, walkers, snow shoers, all welcome. These groomed trails lead to miles of maintained hiking trails that are packed by many backcountry travelers, maybe adding another 10-15 miles of backcountry fat biking...you can get 600' verts and downhill on old Alpine trails, yes, groomed. After this rain it will be bad for skiers but excellent for fat after it freezes up..

·
think
853 Posts
Raining pretty hard right now and looks to get warmer. Sucks.

At this rate we'll be riding everywhere, because there's not gonna be snow.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts