Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
So Dennis is a buddy of mine and that happened on the trails a mile from my house. We're having the first XC and Enduro race on our little trail network this weekend and him and another buddy were getting some practice laps on the endure stages. Last lap of the day and he sent a little kicker too far and landed flat. He severed C3-C6 and after he was airlifted, spent the next 4+ hours in surgery...he had no feeling below the neck at the scene. Good news is that when he came out of surgery, he could move his arms and just yesterday, started gaining some sensation in his legs. Long road to recovery for sure, but it's looking up and he's a tough dude. We know he'll be back and stronger.

That GoFundMe was started by a group of us (usually 15 or so) that ride those trails every Thursday night and then follow that up with a dinner and beer at a local Italian joint down the street. The "Brew Crew" has been running for 6-7 years now and Dennis is one of the regulars. Needless to say as soon as the group got word from our other buddy at the scene, we were pretty crushed. It's a pretty tight knit group of guys that would do anything for each other and we're hoping the GoFundMe can help his wife and family during his recovery. We don't want the medical bills and his time away from work during what will likely be a lengthy rehab to be an additional burden.

If anyone has donated, thank you thank you thank you. You donated to a good dude. I promise you that.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
So sorry to hear about Dennis, will be donating. But for all of the providers on this forum, you are absolutely wrong to ride MTB without disability / life insurance. This sport is inherently highly dangerous, and we all need to be prepared for the unspeakable! You owe it to your family to ensure you are covered.

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
544 Posts
single payer

So Dennis is a buddy of mine and that happened on the trails a mile from my house. We're having the first XC and Enduro race on our little trail network this weekend and him and another buddy were getting some practice laps on the endure stages. Last lap of the day and he sent a little kicker too far and landed flat. He severed C3-C6 and after he was airlifted, spent the next 4+ hours in surgery...he had no feeling below the neck at the scene. Good news is that when he came out of surgery, he could move his arms and just yesterday, started gaining some sensation in his legs. Long road to recovery for sure, but it's looking up and he's a tough dude. We know he'll be back and stronger.

That GoFundMe was started by a group of us (usually 15 or so) that ride those trails every Thursday night and then follow that up with a dinner and beer at a local Italian joint down the street. The "Brew Crew" has been running for 6-7 years now and Dennis is one of the regulars. Needless to say as soon as the group got word from our other buddy at the scene, we were pretty crushed. It's a pretty tight knit group of guys that would do anything for each other and we're hoping the GoFundMe can help his wife and family during his recovery. We don't want the medical bills and his time away from work during what will likely be a lengthy rehab to be an additional burden.

If anyone has donated, thank you thank you thank you. You donated to a good dude. I promise you that.
Like in all CIVILIZE countries around the globe, all its citizens have medical coverage. Its terrible that redblooded americans have to morgage their retirement funds for a medical emergency.

So where do our tax dollars go to ???

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts

Thank you for the update. Really cool for us to know more about our fellow fallen rider.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Make sure to update the gofundme regularly. Really makes s difference in support level as folks need context.

And photos of the kids are key too. It reminds folks of what else is at stake aside from his future

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like in all CIVILIZE countries around the globe, all its citizens have medical coverage. Its terrible that redblooded americans have to morgage their retirement funds for a medical emergency.

So where do our tax dollars go to ???
Well our taxes are quite a bit lower, and we get to choose the level of insurance that we feel is right for ourselves. Freedom and all that.

that said, our healthcare system has some serious problems (mostly owing to the power that big pharma has).

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Well our taxes are quite a bit lower, and we get to choose the level of insurance that we feel is right for ourselves. Freedom and all that.

that said, our healthcare system has some serious problems (mostly owing to the power that big pharma has).
Don't take the bait. We can post 100 replies about injustice but this thread is about:

Dennis Fidel

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Don't take the bait. We can post 100 replies about injustice but this thread is about:

Dennis Fidel
Respectfully, fc, that INCLUDES Dennis's misfortune from living in a place where medical care is a for-profit badness. . I'm going to contribute to Dennis whenever I can, but I'm still gonna say shame on our "society".

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Respectfully, fc, that INCLUDES Dennis's misfortune from living in a place where medical care is a for-profit badness. . I'm going to contribute to Dennis whenever I can, but I'm still gonna say shame on our "society".
I gotcha. Let's focus on Denis though. I read all the details on this i could and didn't glean that there's anything wrong with his insurance. Could start another thread though. :). I have lots to say.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good point about the Disability Insurance thou I don't have it.

Who do you use for disability insurance? I think I will look into it
I have MetLife through my employer, provides 6 months of my full salary in the event of injury and beyond that 50% of my salary for life in the event of permanent injury. Believe Aflac is a big provider of this type of insurance as well, but definitely check around.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Most should be covered by mandatory California SDI as a base (please Google it). Employers might offer their own coverage.

I have MetLife through my employer, provides 6 months of my full salary in the event of injury and beyond that 50% of my salary for life in the event of permanent injury. Believe Aflac is a big provider of this type of insurance as well, but definitely check around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.