Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've done a few searches and have read some posts about these, but can't really find what are the pros/cons of these? seems there are more 6-bolt hubs out there and adapters for centerlock to 6-bolt. i understand there's a difference in how the rotors attach to the hub, but not sure why you'ld take one over the other.

which i've read seem to work just fine as of 2007/8. is this still the case? has it gotten better?

is there a benefit of one over the other? would a centerlock hub be a deal breaker for you?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Centerlock is simply a Shimano method of attaching rotors to a hub. The rotor offset is the same as international standards, so a Shimano Centerlock rotor and hub are compatible with, say, Hayes or Avid disc brake calipers, while a King or DT 6-bolt hub & Formula or Hope rotor will mate up fine in a frame with Shimano brake calipers.

I don't know off-hand the list of arguments Shimano uses to justify Centerlock, but I can guess: manufacturing costs, weight, ease of assembly, lack of tiny threaded rotor bolt holes for ham-fisted mechanics to strip out and attempt to warranty, etc...

·
Registered
113 Posts
centerlock rotors are stiffer and run true'er. they also act like a cooling fan, keeping the rotor/brake system operating at a lower temp for better braking. if you travel a lot to races (fly or ship your bike), centerlock rotors make it pretty simple to remove the rotors from the wheels to avoid getting damaged in transit.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Wait, what? Stiffer, truer and cooler? Please, expand on this.

Wouldn't that all depend if they were the versions with the oversized aluminum center carrier? And if so, aren't those properties going to be true of any 6-bolt rotor with a center carrier?

Without the center carrier, isn't it just another 160mm spinning disc of 1.8mm stainless steel, without the added "stiffness" or heat transfer benefits of being strapped flat to the face of a hub? I'm puzzled by this claim.

I've seen some Shimano press that their drilling patterns provide superior cooling, but I'm skeptical of this as rotor cooling relates more to the material mass available to transfer heat away from the braking surface. Plus, if any rotor is blowing like a cooling fan, it'd be generating drag, robbing the bike of precious speed. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Both systems seem to work pretty good. My LBS tells me Shimano came out with Center Lock after dealing with too many warrantee issues with stripped threads on their hubs. Used properly, I don't think you'll have problems with either system.

If I were you, I'd decide on what system to use depending on what hubs/brakes you wanted to use. I went with Center Lock because I wanted to try tubeless on Deore XT wheels and was drooling over XTR rotors. IME/O using 6 bolt rotors with an adaptor works fine, but looks dorky. If you have a specific 6 bolt rotor you wanted to use, I'd go with a 6 bolt hub.

You might get better answers if you tell us of any specific hubs/rotors/brakes you wanted to use.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
benefit of CL = one screw vs 6
benefit of CL = lighter hubs (save about 150g per set of XT hubs)
downside of CL = you need a cassette lockring tool
downside of CL = most rotors are 6 bolt & will require adapters
downside of CL = lack of brake/rotor options (more options every day though)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Wait, what? Stiffer, truer and cooler? Please, expand on this.

Wouldn't that all depend if they were the versions with the oversized aluminum center carrier? And if so, aren't those properties going to be true of any 6-bolt rotor with a center carrier?

Without the center carrier, isn't it just another 160mm spinning disc of 1.8mm stainless steel, without the added "stiffness" or heat transfer benefits of being strapped flat to the face of a hub? I'm puzzled by this claim.

I've seen some Shimano press that their drilling patterns provide superior cooling, but I'm skeptical of this as rotor cooling relates more to the material mass available to transfer heat away from the braking surface. Plus, if any rotor is blowing like a cooling fan, it'd be generating drag, robbing the bike of precious speed. ;)
sorry, guess i should have elaborated. I was mostly refering to XTR rotors and to a lesser degree, XT rotors. the XTR rotors are triangulated from the hub to the rotor surface so there is a lot less deflection and the larger frontal area of the triangulated aluminum carrier does help cool things off a lot faster. 6 bolt rotors with aluminum carriers don't have the triangulation due to space requirements (between hub and frame/fork) so they will deflect more as well as not having the frontal (fan blade) area for cooling... with one exception. Magura makes a 'cooling fan' rotor in their Louise line, both in centerlock and six bolt varieties. XX brakes also have a center lock rotor option as well.

and you are correct, the none aluminum carrier centerlock rotors are no different than a 6 bolt rotor, with the exception of being easier to install/remove.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
greyhorse said:
You might get better answers if you tell us of any specific hubs/rotors/brakes you wanted to use.
i was looking at a wheelset with DT 240 hubs that had a centerlock and a set of avid elixirs - which have centerlock rotors. this is all for a new bike build and my first set of disc brakes.

·
West Chester, PA
4,996 Posts
I've taken a close look at 3 sets of xtr rotors (on new bikes in a shop); I was very surprised how straight they were. Just sayin... you might want to look into xtr brakes if you're getting the centerlock dt hubs. The people I ride with who have them have nothing bad to say about xtr brakes. Avid's on the other hand... Everybody including myself have had some degree of frustration with them... juicy's and elixers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
moschika said:
i was looking at a wheelset with DT 240 hubs that had a centerlock and a set of avid elixirs - which have centerlock rotors. this is all for a new bike build and my first set of disc brakes.
No reason not to go with those.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
onespeedfreak said:
...and the larger frontal area of the triangulated aluminum carrier does help cool things off a lot faster.
A lot faster? I call bull on that one. I really doubt anyone could tell a difference... Even with the Magura Venti-Discs, it's pretty much only marketing... and it adds weight.

·
West Chester, PA
4,996 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
A lot faster? I call bull on that one. I really doubt anyone could tell a difference... Even with the Magura Venti-Discs, it's pretty much only marketing... and it adds weight.
The larger frontal area could also slow you down slightly :eekster:

;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a set of XTR brakes which I had center loc rotars for. I ended up giving my dad my Mavis SL's with center locks and built up a set of wheels on 6 bolt 240s.

As for the XTR brakes I would trade them in on a set of Avid Elixer CR mags in a heart beat. I weigh 180 lbs and use 180 front with a 160 back and they never seem to have enough power.

I was not a huge fan of the center loc, they looked good but the back one had a single Pin which connected to the rotor to the aluminum part develop a slight amount of play. It did not effect the performance but you would hear a knocking sound every so often.

If you like the XTR style rotor I saw pictures of a 6 bolt version which uses the same alum center somewhere

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Another advantage for 6-bolt rotors that I was told by a pro endurance racer who switched from centerlock to 6-bolt. If you bend a rotor to a point you can't turn the wheel, you can take it off with six bolt and just use a single brake to finish the race, you wont carry a lockring tool in a race...

Obviously, that's a rare case but I just don't see any (true) advantage to Center-Lock. It takes a few seconds to install or remove a 6-bolt rotor, I don't see why I'd need it to be quicker for the once every two years I need to do it. Stiffer? I never had an issue with rotors not being stiff enough, even those under 90 grams...

With that said, as Shiggy noted, I wouldn't not buy Center-Lock if the brakes and wheels I wanted were using it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
DT Swiss Adapter is about $30 per wheel, in case you wanted CL hubs but 6 bolt rotors. I'd stay away from the cheaper CL adapters.

·
Registered
370 Posts
IMO I think it is just another one of those things that Shimano does differently, just for the sake of being different. I love a lot of shimano stuff, but some of the tactics kind of bug me.

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
Just like dual control levers, the "new groundbreaking technology in shifting." WICKED!!!!! :rolleyes:

Shimano just has to be different sometimes, hoping the dummies will confuse "different" with "progress."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts