Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I had to order a new wheelset and went with centerlock hubs vs my old 6 bolt setup.

This of course before finding out that the higher end Shimano rotors may have interference issues with my BB7 calipers. So, after researching, it seems that the SM-RT64 and SM-RT70 are sintered compatible and the carriers are small enough so as not to cause issues.

These will be going on my Gravel Bike, any real reason to pick one rotor over the other?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,924 Posts
This of course before finding out that the higher end Shimano rotors may have interference issues with my BB7 calipers.
IMO, stay away from shimano rotors with bb7 calipers. braking track on bb7 calipers is notably wider than shimano rotors, and the pads can overhang the rotor. as the pads wear, they can become very dangerous as the pads contact each other and you lose braking.

Just use a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and you can use any rotor with your hubs. I'm doing this right now. I have I9 centerlock rotors and Hayes D7 rotors (6 bolt only). I am partial to the adapters that are pinned, instead of threaded for bolts like the DT Swiss and Ashima adapters. There are a few others that work this way, too. But Shimano makes a pretty cheap one that's threaded and uses bolts if price is a concern.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, bummer. I was looking at using the adapters but got suckered in to the simplicity and weight savings of using centerlock rotors. Sounds like the adapters and Avid rotors are the safe bet. The rotors have been plenty good at slowing my substantial mass down so far. Much better than the SRAM hydros on my other bike.

I already pulled the trigger on the SLX rotors due to the inventory running low. Looks like I'll be buying a set of adapters now as well.

The Shimano adapters I think are steel? Sucks because of the weight but they will be nothing if not strong. Kinda hesitant to rely on aluminum nubs to retain the rotors despite the weight advantage. How durable are the DT's?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.