Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

I just purchased a bike that is brand new. I noticed both rotors have some 'slop' if I hold the brake and rock the bike with my weight on it.

I pulled both lockrings and retightened using a Park torque wrench, and had no luck . Even torqueing past the recommended torque of 40 NM (went to 50) didn't completely solve the problem. I also tried greasing the splines on my rear rotor and reinstalling, hoping the grease would take up space. But that didn't help either.

I'm reading that with shimano rotors, there is always a bit of play. But I'm also reading where a lot of people say this is not normal.

Thoughts?

I'm 100% positive that it's the centerlock interface and not pads or a headset.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Cernterlock setups can have some play depending on the hub & rotor. Shimano has 2 general types of centerlock rotors; lower end models that use a stamped steel center piece and nicer ones that use a machined aluminum center. The stamped steel ones will almost always have some play regardless of which hubs they're mounted on, the machined aluminum ones are solid when mounted on Shimano hubs but may have play when mounted on other manufacturer's hubs.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Cernterlock setups can have some play depending on the hub & rotor. Shimano has 2 general types of centerlock rotors; lower end models that use a stamped steel center piece and nicer ones that use a machined aluminum center. The stamped steel ones will almost always have some play regardless of which hubs they're mounted on, the machined aluminum ones are solid when mounted on Shimano hubs but may have play when mounted on other manufacturer's hubs.
It could be this. I've only had XTR CL Rotors on I9 hubs, both higher end and no play what so ever. I actually regret going 6 bolt on my current wheelset.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OP, as said, you might get some play from the rotors, but you will also get some movement from the pads moving as well. If you can ride the bike and not feel/notice it and the rotors are on good and the bike is stopping, then as said, stop rocking the bike and ignore it, if it isn't stopping properly or you can feel it when stopping, then try to do something about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.