Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am deciding between the GF Marlin Disc and the Piranha[/B](for my 26'' bike, the 29'' Mamba is for Spring 09'--BUT I cannot wait that long to ride!!). Need more input on having 'center lock hubs and rotors' compared 'to not having these'.. Also any opinions on SRAM-5's vs. Shimano Deore components..... This is my FIRST MT'BIKE purchase :D and I am acting like SPONGEBOB trying to absorb as much info as I can....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's easier to find replacement 6-bolt rotors, you're pretty much locked into Shimano for c/l rotors. And all you need is an allen wrench to install 6-bolt rotors, while you need a cassette lockring tool to install c/l.

That being said, I prefer the c/l system. Imo it's a superior system, more secure than 6-bolt, and easier and faster to install/uninstall (unless you need to do it out on the trail for some reason). And, if you have a c/l hub, you can install 6-bolt rotors with an adapter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank's for that QUICK RESPONSE.....---here is what I WAS deciding on,(for my 26'' bike, the 29'' Mamba is for Spring 09'--BUT I cannot wait that long to ride!!) a GF Marlin and a Piranha---

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/compare/components/marlin-disc/piranha//

but was leaning towards the Piranha for the Fork and Brakes, and now your response just 'SEALED the DEAL' on my choice..... Thank's.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.