Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make it over the hill for this meeting, but seems like a good opportunity to voice your demands. I already submitted my input on there survey.

If you haven't yet RSVP'd, I hope you can join us! Here are the details:
What: CEMEX Access Community Meeting
When: Wednesday, 3/26/14 from 6:30-8:30pm
Where: Hotel Paradox, Santa Cruz

CEMEX Access Community Meeting- Eventbrite

What do you want to see allowed on the CEMEX property? Hiking? Biking? Horseback riding? Something else?

Well, come to our first CEMEX Access Community Meeting to voice your opinion and learn about the process of how we can achieve public access on this property!

·
roadie
744 Posts
+1. i want to make it out but i'm not sure how to bend space time and be in two places at the same time.. working on it

some more background info from MBoSC's site (CEMEX | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC))

In November 2011, Land Trust of Santa Cruz County and four conservation partners purchased 8,500 acres of privately held land, known as Lonestar Timberlands or CEMEX Redwoods, located above Coast Dairies and north of Wilder Ranch State Park.

The new land managers intend to manage this property for conservation and recreation. MBoSC's objective is to partner with the land manager to assist in the stewardship of the property with the support of the mountain bike community.

Cemex and the adjacent Coast Dairies property (managed by the BLM) comprise nearly 14,000 contiguous acres between Bonny Doon and Davenport. Linking these two properties with trails could provide for long descents with a 2,500 foot elevation drop. Imagine a ten to fifteen mile ride from Empire Grade to the beach through spectacular redwood forests with sweeping ocean views.

Voice your support for mountain biking on the CEMEX property by completing the Land Trust's CEMEX Access Plan survey.

The Land Trust of Santa Cruz County is working hard to protect the lands in Santa Cruz County for conservation, farming and recreation. Learn more about this this and other Land Trust projects.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I wasn't there but everything I've read and seen about the property seems to indicate that mtb access is in the plans. This place has major potential. The Land Trust of SC County is the land manager at this point and they seem pretty mtb friendly or at least open to it. Don't want to put the cart before the horse but I think there is at least the possibility for some mtb designed trails.

Maybe Mark or Drew will chime in with more info?

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
I attended. Yes, the Santa Cruz Land Trust is pretty favorable to multi-use, or single-use trails (mtb only/equestrian only). They are conducting a series of public meetings to gather community input. I believe this is the first of two open to the general public. So, come to the next one!

The map of the property shows possible areas of where trails/loops could exist, and there is potential for a ridgeline trail heading down from Empire grade all the way down to the Coast Dairies property. If a suitable connection could be made to Coast Dairies, it looks promising to have an "Empire Grade to the sea" type of trail. There are several viewpoints. It could be fantastic! There are currently 80 miles of existing roads and trails in there.

It was conducted as a forum - everyone randomly gets sifted out to different round tables where you discuss your thoughts on some bullet points with your group, note them down and turn them in at the end. A few groups of tables were picked randomly to get up and summarize at the end their major points. It was well attended. There were a lot of neighbors and residents of Davenport and Bonny Doon there who were mainly concerned about access through their communities and such. It seemed like the biggest concern on people's minds was they didn't want to allow camping, or at least limit it to hike-in sites with no fires. No fires was a huge issue, as you can imagine for Bonny Doon... And then there was the usual contingent of hiker/conservationists, mountain bikers, dog walkers and equestrians. This mix in Santa Cruz is not like other places in the Bay area - it was for the most part congenial. My favorite comment was from an equestrian lady who made the suggestion of forming a patrol group - both mounted and on bike. The property will be private land, yet open to the public. I believe one of the main aims is to open it up for recreational access. But of course, most in attendence (including us mtb'ers) wanted to preserve the environmental/cultural resources there. The property has certain constraints, such as steep canyons, some hazardous areas near the old quarry, and contains some known mountain lion habitat.

If you haven't already, or if you can't make it to the public meetings, take the online survey about the Cemex property to express your thoughts:
Land Trust of Santa Cruz County

Reactions: Diesel~

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
I attended. Yes, the Santa Cruz Land Trust is pretty favorable to multi-use, or single-use trails (mtb only/equestrian only). They are conducting a series of public meetings to gather community input. I believe this is the first of two open to the general public. So, come to the next one!

The map of the property shows possible areas of where trails/loops could exist, and there is potential for a ridgeline trail heading down from Empire grade all the way down to the Coast Dairies property. If a suitable connection could be made to Coast Dairies, it looks promising to have an "Empire Grade to the sea" type of trail. There are several viewpoints. It could be fantastic! There are currently 80 miles of existing roads and trails in there.

It was conducted as a forum - everyone randomly gets sifted out to different round tables where you discuss your thoughts on some bullet points with your group, note them down and turn them in at the end. A few groups of tables were picked randomly to get up and summarize at the end their major points. It was well attended. There were a lot of neighbors and residents of Davenport and Bonny Doon there who were mainly concerned about access through their communities and such. It seemed like the biggest concern on people's minds was they didn't want to allow camping, or at least limit it to hike-in sites with no fires. No fires was a huge issue, as you can imagine for Bonny Doon... And then there was the usual contingent of hiker/conservationists, mountain bikers, dog walkers and equestrians. This mix in Santa Cruz is not like other places in the Bay area - it was for the most part congenial. My favorite comment was from an equestrian lady who made the suggestion of forming a patrol group - both mounted and on bike. The property will be private land, yet open to the public. I believe one of the main aims is to open it up for recreational access. But of course, most in attendence (including us mtb'ers) wanted to preserve the environmental/cultural resources there. The property has certain constraints, such as steep canyons, some hazardous areas near the old quarry, and contains some known mountain lion habitat.

If you haven't already, or if you can't make it to the public meetings, take the online survey about the Cemex property to express your thoughts:
Land Trust of Santa Cruz County
Thanks for the update, Shredchic!

-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.