Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
Say, hypothetically, someone had to make a call to work to let them know they wouldn't be making it in, could that be done from Packer Saddle?
I'm pretty sure that ATT got no reception up there.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Verizon doesn't have reception anywhere around Downieville. Not sure if I checked at Packer Saddle, but I didn't see a lot of cell towers there and I don't think my phone got any messages last time until Grass Valley.

Best bet is a pay phone once you get to Downieville.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I've tried several times over the years

Dirt_Diggler said:
Say, hypothetically, someone had to make a call to work to let them know they wouldn't be making it in, could that be done from Packer Saddle?
On Packer Saddle, and elsewhere north of Packer Saddle on the Crest.
ATT back in the day, and over the past few years with Verizon, but I've never been able to connect or even send a text.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
i believe you. verizon's coverage map does show the buttes as having coverage.
I'm on at&t. At that distance, with no obstructions, you're bound to get a tower somewhere, somehow.

I accessed my iPhone's service screen, where you can view cell phone tower information among other things, and the tower I accessed from up there was 7.23 miles away. It doesn't tell you the distance, but I called at&t with the tower ID and they gave me the GPS coordinates of the tower I pinged.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
BMy buddies and I call it the Downieville Vortex...

no cell...

pay phones out are finiky...

time is relative...

Years ago it drove me nuts. Now I look on the situation with appreciation. True escapism. :)

No Sprint PCS service...

P

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
my father and i both have at&t ... never got reception at the saddle, never tried at the buttes.

used to go to mills peak, but that didnt work anymore when they went from 2g to 3g ...

best bet is either trying the buttes or cruising out to graeagle.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Might be a little late for this weekend, but I do know you can get signal at the ranger station at 49/marysville rd near camptonville/bullards bar. I think thats around 25mi or so but if youre in a pinch..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.