Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being gainfully unemployed has afforded me a tremendous opportunity for net surfing over the holidays. Last night, while contemplating bed, I stumbled across this juicy tidbit of knowlwdge.

http://www.mattchester.com

Often maligned, but tremendously talented, framebuilder, Matt Chester, seems to have set up shop in our south western Ontario town of Dundas. Being the type to judge people myself without being biased by the opinions of others; I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome him.

Aside from True North are there any other custom builders in SW Ontario?

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Interesting..

yeah I've been wondering about custom frame builders in SW Ontario too, but besides True North, the only other I've ever come across online is Mariposa bicycles out of Toronto.

I always have a hard time getting a good fit on bikes, I always seem to find myself between sizes and have to do a lot of component tweaking to get comfy. So was thinking of going the custom route but I'm still trying to decide if it's worth price tag.

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
I saw that a couple of months back. As you say, Mr Chester has quite the story. Hit search and his name comes up...a lot. No doubt he builds a mean frame, but you have to take the other baggage into consideration. I would tread very carefully...

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Huh, I wonder where he'll be setting up his shop? I always thought it would be cool to set up some brown-field business in the industrial park down at the end of Hatt.

The last thing I remember hearing about Matt Chester is that he was MIA while trying to do the Continental Divide race on a fixie wearing only flip-flops or something. :skep:

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
garage monster said:
Huh, I wonder where he'll be setting up his shop? I always thought it would be cool to set up some brown-field business in the industrial park down at the end of Hatt.

The last thing I remember hearing about Matt Chester is that he was MIA while trying to do the Continental Divide race on a fixie wearing only flip-flops or something. :skep:
If scroll down his blog, he talks about wrapping bar tape and mentions his DNF a the CD race...

·
Registered
13 Posts
langford said:
Dundas takes a giant leap forward in bike cred!
Dundas has always been a bit if a cycling meca for southern Ontario. We used to have 15+ people on our Wednesday night mtb rides...back in 1985. Ahh the days when the Dundas Valley was 'mostly' singletrack.
Although the mtbing isn't what it used to be in town...we still have loads of singletrack.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
garage monster said:

LOL.....I live right in that area...BTW the large building, at the end of Hatt, is already occupied...By what I'm not sure...

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
380 Posts
SSteve F said:
I saw that a couple of months back. As you say, Mr Chester has quite the story. Hit search and his name comes up...a lot. No doubt he builds a mean frame, but you have to take the other baggage into consideration. I would tread very carefully...
ditto on those points, a quick search of the 29 forum and the frame builders forum and there is a trail of bodies waiting for bikes.....

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
To answer the folks wondering about making the custom "leap" - I feel it's worth it, but that's because I don't fit stock bikes well. Warranty/support is my other reason for buying locally. Just about every stock frame has a clause in the warranty that declares it void if the bike is raced (what a joke), and some are so aggressive that you're giving up a lot if you just swap the seatpost.

If I have any advice it is to make sure you get along with your builder, and have similar ideas about what the frame should be and how the build process should go. I like my frame enough to have another in the works a year later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.