Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such as it is! Snow is in tomorrow morning's forecast.

Waited until temps almost got to 40 to ride, 'cause I could.

A snow drop. A 3 week old yellow crocus with week old purple ones, Siberian Iris, and some miniature daffodils. They are a bit late this year as are the seasonal temps. Still, they say that spring is here and things will soon be hot enough for the summer heat thread revival.

Apparently the closed up flowers found it a bit chilly and I was a layer less than I use 25-32 F, but was also just barely warm enough.

·
CB of the East
4,089 Posts
^^Ditto, spring still seems like it's a way off even though it's here on the calendar. I rode past some ice fisherman last night and asked how thick the ice was...Over 3 feet. 1F here this morning, spring is in the air.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The birds are singing for territory and the first Oriole in over 5 years was sighted.
Theses birds showed up and made me want to buy a shotgun:

The flowers continue to cycle. The very early have yielded to the early ones:

Yesterday thunderstorms and 3" and 64. Today hit 50 feeling like 42 but the yard work had to be done and did me in.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grass went from a very few green springs to mostly green and needing a cut this week. First year since 2001 that I haven't had to mow most of March.

·
7,758 Posts
^^ Yes and no. Not that particular truck on that particular lake, but there are always a few. A while back some Einstein lost a car, then tried to pull it out with a truck, and then went after that with an excavator. 0 for 3.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^ that's fantastic. Too bad he didn't have something bigger to send in after them - like a tank, or a passenger jet?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The early tulips are going and the mid tulips are just opening:

The Myrtle and the grape hyacinths are flowering:

Same scene this morning:

A very late spring indeed. Been here 14 springs. Never saw snow that accumulated even this much this late before.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More and less flowers

Mid season tulips:

Some mid season miniatures:

One of the few flowers on the weeping cherry that was not lost with that last snow/frost:

On the wild side 1- Dogtooth Violet AKA Trout Lily:

On the wild side 2- Dutchman's Breeches:

One flower on the neighbor's magnolia (earlier ones in town were full flower then frozen):

Another neighbor's Callery Pear:

Mowed the lawn for the first time this year on 04/17 over a month later than usual. So even nature is complaining. I rode without leg or arm coverings for the first time, too!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red Bleeding Hearts, White Bleeding Hearts, and Blue Periwinkle in time for Cinco de Mayo, a couple of months early for Independence Day:

We may hit 80 for the first time since early October last year.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
callery pears can die.

I've never heard trout lilies called dogtooth violets before. They've always been trout lilies to me.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
Callery pears are considered invasive in Indiana. And, bradford pears smell like dead fish for about a week.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And female Gingko's crushed fruit smell like asparagus urine. I didn't know that the Callery Pear was rated invasive. It could succumb to mysterious disease, I suppose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts