Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of Tues afternoon, from the vicinity of 4 Corners, on up, conditions are MUDDIER than they were a couple of weeks ago. You won't want to ride past the relief section in 5 Hills, whereas before you could easily go 2/3 of the way up before hitting ice/mud. I started 5 Hills with heavy tires today and rode through a patch of snow in the first pitch.

Upper Mighty Mule goes to pot in a hurry. Lower Mighty Mule is much messier than before, and should not be attempted.

The Dump Road is in great shape all the way to 4 Corners. The route to Coyote via the far NE corner of the trail system is also in fine shape. You can also ride Coyote about a mile past the (increasingly rickety) wooden bridge. About 1/2 mile past the big ugly hill you will encounter a newly fallen dead tree, which is easily passed on the right. But, immediately after this tree, it's one bog after another. Even scouting it on foot from the trees is a goopfest. You might think you can endure the endless portages, but I doubt you'll enjoy it, and the top of Coyote appears much muddier at 4 Corners than a couple of weeks ago.

The connecting trail between The Dump Road/Coyote and Chamisoso meadow is fine (great place for whoop practice), but the shady parts of lower Chamisoso are very soft and icy in places, and there are huge mud bogs in the upper parts of Chamisoso.

It's very warm up there, though, and a lot MIGHT be accomplished by the weekend. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail in the meantime. The big wheels all already doing enough to change the landscape.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
crux said:
Thanks for the info.

How large is the downed tree? and is there an easy in to remove it? Might head out Thursday and do a bit of clean up.
LMAO:D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The downed tree would be no big deal to move, as it's not one of the towering pines, but it's a perfect attention getter to prevent someone from plowing headlong into the first big bog. I thought it best to leave it for now. Whoever ultimately moves it might need both hands.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
much improved ...

Fri PM, and barring any new moisture:

Coyote is clear to the top save for 3 short portages about half way up, The top is a little messy, but very rideable - with care.
5 Hills is fine to the big bend near the top, where the mud and snow begin.
Lower Mighty Mule is fine except for a soft stretch in the deep shade about half way to the meadow.
Chamisoso meadow is pretty mucky. The worst part is where you come off the rocks into the arroyo at the top of the meadow until you rise up out of the arroyo. After that you need to choose your paths wisely. Chamisoso meadow would probably be a crummy ride in the up direction due to the muddy sections. Some care required in the bottom shade.
And, of course, there's always the Dump Road, which is the fastest surface of all.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Garson said:
Fri PM, and barring any new moisture:

Coyote is clear to the top save for 3 short portages about half way up, The top is a little messy, but very rideable - with care.
5 Hills is fine to the big bend near the top, where the mud and snow begin.
Lower Mighty Mule is fine except for a soft stretch in the deep shade about half way to the meadow.
Chamisoso meadow is pretty mucky. The worst part is where you come off the rocks into the arroyo at the top of the meadow until you rise up out of the arroyo. After that you need to choose your paths wisely. Chamisoso meadow would probably be a crummy ride in the up direction due to the muddy sections. Some care required in the bottom shade.
And, of course, there's always the Dump Road, which is the fastest surface of all.
Thanx Garson! I know where I am riding tomorrow:D

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Thanks for the tip Garson! Great ride today fellas! We started at Cedro lot and made our way up to four corners via FR ???. Straight up five hills to the radio towers and down the bootleg. From there Rattlesnake to Lone pine across the meadow over to unkknown singletrack along barbed fence and back up rocky FR ?? More unknown ST to four corners and down Coyote. EXCELLENT! We had an old riding buddy of mine along for the ride...I think he enjoyed himself:thumbsup:

Meet Josh. Even though he was on what amounted a fully rigid (when you consider RS Dart), a pair of 2.1 street slicks, and some big ole bar ends he rocked.

The fellas

The ride

...and, of course, a few features along the way;)

oh...and the view

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
makachut said:
Great report 2 nice ridable days in SantaFe and I'm already to hit something different.what about across the road Tunnel and what not ?
Higher elevations still a no-go. Probably by next weekend if the weather holds and winds stay steady.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
shile said:
Excellent ride, maybe the best so far this year. I forgot how much fun Cedro can be since all we've been riding are the foothills and white mesa.

Next time, I'll bring the geared bike...
Gears? You don't need gears. Josh has got me wondering why I spend all that money on high end components. He probably has as much in that whole bike as I have in my drivetrain and he was ahead of the pack all day. even on some of the dh sections:rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Gears? You don't need gears. Josh has got me wondering why I spend all that money on high end components. He probably has as much in that whole bike as I have in my drivetrain and he was ahead of the pack all day. even on some of the dh sections:rolleyes:
This was an excellent example of "it's not the bike, it's the rider". It's nice to be ten years younger, huh? He did excellent considering the bike and lack of brakes.

We should all do the same thing. Go find a bike at a pawn shop for no more than $100.00, strap an upside down gatorade jug to the frame, go ride Cedro or Otero and not complain once.

Today is a rest day, but I'll be ready for some NFH action tomorrow.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
shile said:
strap an upside down gatorade jug to the frame, go ride Cedro or Otero and not complain once.
ha, ha...I forgot about the well engineered hydration setup.

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
nice ride fellas and nice pix bryan...props to josh! that guy can ride man!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Supra - good call on Rattlesnake
Mtn. biker - good call on lone pine

Shile and Josh = the dome-less duo killed the trail on the singlespeed and rockhoppe, respectively.

RCC and Crux - always good to hit the trails with you. Thanks for the swag crux.

I don't know about y'all, but my legs are sore, and I'm still pulling out needles from my hands.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
more conditions ...

Tues PM:

Up Coyote - nice.
Up 5 Hills - stay to the inside of the big bend to avoid the slop, otherwise nice.
Briggity Briggs - nice, except for the obvious ATV tracks. I had no idea this trail was included in the latest FS boondoggle.
Cedro Single Track (or, rather, what was heretofore known as such) - good condition, so enjoy it while you can, because it's obviously going to look like Coyote after this season. Definitely needs a new name, like Cedro ATV Track, or Upper Coyote, or FS Travesty ...
Upper Mighty Mule (between bottom of 5 Hills and Rattlesnake) - Do Not Attempt due to significant mud/ice. Do what the other guys obviously did, and go down Lone Pine and over the little ridge to 4 Corners.
Down Lower Mighty Mule (below 4 Corners) - Nice, but still some pretty soft spots in the deep shade about half way to the meadow.
Chamisoso - Still has one really yucky stretch when you come off the rocks into the arroyo in the meadow. Otherwise, pretty clean and definitely rideable, even in the shade at the bottom.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
I'm sure they'll obey ...

Garson said:
Tues PM:

Up Coyote - nice.
Up 5 Hills - stay to the inside of the big bend to avoid the slop, otherwise nice.
Briggity Briggs - nice, except for the obvious ATV tracks. I had no idea this trail was included in the latest FS boondoggle.
Cedro Single Track (or, rather, what was heretofore known as such) - good condition, so enjoy it while you can, because it's obviously going to look like Coyote after this season. Definitely needs a new name, like Cedro ATV Track, or Upper Coyote, or FS Travesty ...
Actually, there will be only limited areas open to ATVs after the travel plan is finalized. If we lived in a perfect world, the trails would revert back to single track in a few years and we'd be setup with luscious trails.

But, as most people who ride there know, the only difference is that when you confront someone who's where they shouldn't be, they'll able to say "Oh, I thought this was allowed on this trail - sorry", instead of "bite me jerk-wad, there's nothing saying I can't ride here".

Oh, what a joyous time that will be. I can't wait to see what meager fencing/signage goes up and how effective it is at keeping red-neck wheelchairs from dropping down coyote/mighty mule, etc. For an example of how well this is currently working, head out to upper Otero where they've already established a plan...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts