Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Wierdo
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year, we started work on a new trail at Paradise Valley called Cedar Run. This trail is meant to replace a steep and unsustainable trail running from waypoints 22 to 12 (see map below).

We split construction into two phases, and finished phase 1 earlier this year (see: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=553173).

Week before last, FM and I met with with Chris from Snohomish County to flag the line for phase 2 and we then received approval to start trail construction.

Here is the approximate route for phase 2, you can see it's relationship to phase 1:



Once you come off the phase 1 trail onto phase 2, you'll have a nice 3% downhill grade with wide, swoopy turns. We worked hard to make this trail flow. Once at the bottom of the valley, we are routing the trail back up the other side, 3-5% grades, and then we finish with a 10% swoopy downhill that will drop you at waypoint 12. It's going to be fun!

Today, Bob, Doug, Josh and I got out with chainsaws and machetes to take on the initial clearing and brushing of the trail line. Building conditions generally look good - the south end of Paradise Valley has gravelly soils that are easy to dig in, and they drain well. The trail line goes through a few deep duff areas...we will either dig out and infill these areas, or ladder them with cedar bridges.

Here are a few pics from today. I'll be posting a workparty on the Evergreen calendar for next sunday. Time to start moving dirt!

Doug and Bob:


Josh swinging the machete:


Josh working the chainsaw:


Brushed and marked trail line:


Brushed and marked trail line:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
―Han Solo

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,469 Posts
Morning Wood

Was bummed to miss the crew today, my schedule just didn't cooperate and I arrived about :30 after they left. :madman:

I did get to walk the line with dog, and I was real stoked to see the progress- especially the extension near wp12. Nice work guys! :thumbsup:

This will be a great addition to paradise. I am sure we will find some good uses for the rest of Seans cedar stash (Hmmm, I'm thinking we need some wall-ride action!)

Thanks again guys!
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
Skookum said:
"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
―Han Solo

:)
And Astronomers around the world still slap their foreheads because a parsec is a measure of DISTANCE, not time.

I really don't care, as long as Han shoots first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
Dwight Moody said:
And Astronomers around the world still slap their foreheads because a parsec is a measure of DISTANCE, not time.

I really don't care, as long as Han shoots first.
Much like parsecs there is more to cedar that even the educated can hope to comprehend.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Dwight Moody said:
And Astronomers around the world still slap their foreheads because a parsec is a measure of DISTANCE, not time.

I really don't care, as long as Han shoots first.
Not really, it is just your lack of Star Wars Knowledge. The acceleration of a body can be indirectly measured by the proximity it can come to an immense gravity well. In this case, it was the Maw Black Hole Cluster. Normal ships need to take a wide berth of at least 18 parsecs in DISTANCE, so that they do not get sucked in past the event horizon of the black hole. So, the fact that the Falcon did it in 12 parsecs, is quite impressive.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Holy sh!t.....geek alert!! ;)

Strangely, I do feel more informed on this topic now.

rdhfreethought said:
Not really, it is just your lack of Star Wars Knowledge. The acceleration of a body can be indirectly measured by the proximity it can come to an immense gravity well. In this case, it was the Maw Black Hole Cluster. Normal ships need to take a wide berth of at least 18 parsecs in DISTANCE, so that they do not get sucked in past the event horizon of the black hole. So, the fact that the Falcon did it in 12 parsecs, is quite impressive.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
PVCA is sweet, thanks for doing all the hard work! I'm gonna try to make the WP on sunday for at least a few hours.

We've been riding out there twice in the last month, and it's quickly becoming a go-to winter spot for our crew...
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
rdhfreethought said:
Not really, it is just your lack of Star Wars Knowledge. The acceleration of a body can be indirectly measured by the proximity it can come to an immense gravity well. In this case, it was the Maw Black Hole Cluster. Normal ships need to take a wide berth of at least 18 parsecs in DISTANCE, so that they do not get sucked in past the event horizon of the black hole. So, the fact that the Falcon did it in 12 parsecs, is quite impressive.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run
So they created a torturous explaination for George Lucas's basic physics mess-up?

I'm out-geeked and will retire from the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,746 Posts
trees4me said:
PVCA is sweet, thanks for doing all the hard work! I'm gonna try to make the WP on sunday for at least a few hours.

We've been riding out there twice in the last month, and it's quickly becoming a go-to winter spot for our crew...
Same guy who posted the recent Red Mtn TAY killer couloir post?
 

·
Wierdo
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good progress today! Thanks to Doug, Bob, Josh, Scott, Tim, Jim, Paul ( and his son) and Joseph who came out to play in the dirt! I'd say we got about half the trail roughed in. We built a couple of nice berms, identified three spots that we are going to ladder and identified a couple of spots for drops. This section of the trail is going to be fun to ride with lot's of rollers and turns to navigate.

A few photos from the day:

Bob showing his expertise with the McLeod:


Scott and Doug dealing with a mid-trail stump:


Tim digging trail:


This little section of trail is going to be challenging!


Josh, Scott and Jim working on new trail:


Joeseph dealing with a stump:


Placing a log for a bermed corner:


Tim working the berm:


Scott checking the berm for flow:


Finished trail:


Before:


After:


More trail by Mountain Bikers for Mountain Bikers. Look for another workparty next weekend!
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top