Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Planning to spend a weekend bike packing and riding in general in the Tucson area and always wanted to do the Canada del Oro.

Does anyone know what the current trail conditions are?
Thanks in advance.

C

·
dirt visionary
6,502 Posts
I would agree not a summer trail. Unless you descend CDO late afternoon. Still wouldn't recommend it. I am sure there will be a local by to offer up their take.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Definitely not a summer trail, you would be doing the brutal jeep trail climb in temps well into the 100’s with little to no shade/shelter options in a remote area with no cell service. Locals typically only do it in the spring and fall. Lots of good riding in Tucson in the summer higher on Mt Lemmon (Aspen Draw, Secret, 1918, Sunset, Bigelow, Incinerator ridge, etc...) or short rides lower on the mountain or in the valley either early in the morning or in the evening (bring lights). But I don’t recommend CDO, Lemmon Drop, Milagrosa, etc... during the summer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello,
Planning to spend a weekend bike packing and riding in general in the Tucson area and always wanted to do the Canada del Oro.

Does anyone know what the current trail conditions are?
Thanks in advance.

C
TORCA removed all the trees over the spring but I have heard a rumor that there is a few more down again. If you really wanted to camp it you could start in the afternoon ride halfway and camp. If you did this you could get up really early to do the 3 mile ride over the gap. With the rains there could be water but not 100% on that. It will be warm and this trail is best in the fall or spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts