Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
CCDB vs. DHX Coil

I've been riding the CCDB on my new RFX for about 8 rides now, and was really stoked.

Today, I got to do back-to-back rides with the CCDB and a DHX-Coil.

To summarize, I'm even more stoked.

THE RIDE: About 40 minutes up a rocky, technical climb called Coyote Cliffs, then back down.

THE IMPRESSIONS:

1. The CCDB is notably better. It climbs in a snappy manner while getting unbelievable hookup over technical rocky stuff. If I set the DHX to feel as snappy, it was harsh. Kinda bucked and snorted and skittered its way through stuff. Had to sometimes "lunge" the bike up and over the tough stuff. If I set the DHX (boost pressure, bottom out dial, pro pedal, etc.) to climb as plush as the CCDB, it felt really non-snappy.

2. Going down, not quite as big a diff, but still noticeable. IMO, both shocks do very well in this case.

3. In a nutshell, the CCDB really keeps the rear wheel glued to the ground in the rough stuff, but pedals amazingly well.

I'll be keeping it for a long time, and ordering a lighter spring tomorrow so that it can be switched onto the 5-Spot as needed.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
I haven't shared this with anyone yet, but the guys at Bike n Bean in Sedona had one, and they despised it.

They didn't like it because they said it was overdamped and felt harsh in the small stuff. They said it was amazing for drops and jumps (low speed performance), but said that it suffered at high speed and wasn't as plush as what they were used to. They said the high speed settings didn't do anything noticable to the shock, and that they'd prefer to be riding a DHX-coil. This has made me think twice about putting up money for one, and I think I'm just saving up to have PUSH modify my dhx.

Like the guys at Bike 'n Bean, I don't give a crap about pedaling performance.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
mountainbikers said:
from tscheezy's request.
-Mountainbikers
The last part of the article is what concerns me.

It sounds like it's harsh, and that's exactly what the guys at Bike n Bean told me, (they were running the CC on 6-packs of course)....

Can anyone (that's ridden it or owns it) disprove this or disagree? Does it "pick up every little imperfection" of the trail? I'd rather my rear wheel provide the best suspension as possible, rather than just "sticking to the ground" all the time. I find that with the correct suspension set up, and with the suspension feeling as soft as possible, that it's going to get the best grip.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Tnx, my retinas are burning...
You need to increase your resolution from 600x800....;)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Jayem said:
It sounds like it's harsh, and that's exactly what the guys at Bike n Bean told me, (they were running the CC on 6-packs of course)....
Those guys actually ride duallies? I thought they were single-speed diehards. 2 years ago, the only Turner in that shop was mine when I stopped by.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jayem said:
The last part of the article is what concerns me.

Can anyone (that's ridden it or owns it) disprove this or disagree? Does it "pick up every little imperfection" of the trail? I'd rather my rear wheel provide the best suspension as possible, rather than just "sticking to the ground" all the time. I find that with the correct suspension set up, and with the suspension feeling as soft as possible, that it's going to get the best grip.
Did you read Kosmo's post?

·
Bodhisattva
10,884 Posts
Jayem said:
Does it "pick up every little imperfection" of the trail? I'd rather my rear wheel provide the best suspension as possible, rather than just "sticking to the ground" all the time.
I don't understand this statement.
Isn't the point of suspension to maintain ground control traction without causing excessive wallow or loss of control due to momentary changes of geometry?

The way I see it, If the shock isn''t absorbing trail imprerfections then it's not optimally doing it's job

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Can't win an internet flame war with Jayem. Won't even try.

But.....unlike him, I've actually ridden the shock. I stand by my post, and clarify by stating that I don't think the pure pedaling efficiency is the thing, it's how supple it is pedaling through rockgardens, etc. that keeps it hooked up and makes life easier and smoother. Not to mention making an old-ish guy feel a little bit like a hero.

Homers in the PNW are welcome to take a quick test if you're in the neighborhood. I'll be keeping it a long time, and am pretty stoked about the coming air version for the 5-Spot -- which now that I have the RFX, I am calling my XC Race Bike. :D

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
I just love it when someone gives their opinion about a product or component that they have NEVER TRIED.
Jayem, what makes you think that Push is going to modify your DHX? After all the sh!t you've given Darren? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.