Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody seems to praise this shock (CCDB), so I wondered why no one ever tried it on the moment (by no one, I mean the few set ups I could find over the web).

Is there any issue with the suspension design that prevents the fitting of this shock?

Please enlighten me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Agree CCDB gets some awesome reviews, but they also say that you have to really take the time to tweak it out. I just don't like all the adjustments. I would be lost with High and low speed compression and rebound. Most folks that I have seen absolutely love the shock have it on a VPP suspension bike, I guess it compensates for some of the bad things that happen on this design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
calvinstoney said:
Agree CCDB gets some awesome reviews, but they also say that you have to really take the time to tweak it out. I just don't like all the adjustments. I would be lost with High and low speed compression and rebound. Most folks that I have seen absolutely love the shock have it on a VPP suspension bike, I guess it compensates for some of the bad things that happen on this design.
I moved from a Push'd DHX to a CCDB on a linkage-actuated single pivot 6" bike.

If you aren't comfortable with 4 adjustments (HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR), then what are you going to do with the DHX (BO, PP, R) - that is ONLY one less adjustment?

Really, the CCDB has a recommended setting and people tweak to their liking from there. I set mine up and have only tweaked a couple of things...

The CCDB is incredibly controlled compared to the DHX - much less spikey due to the better control of oil flow.

I'd suggest downloading the manual for it and reading that, as it provides a lot of insight into how shocks work period.

and as for CCDB on VPP-there is no getting around the lack of small bump compliance generated by the stiffening of the suspension due to chain forces.

I probably messed up some concept above...but it is time for me to go to lunch! Latah.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,958 Posts
CharacterZero said:
I

If you aren't comfortable with 4 adjustments (HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR), then what are you going to do with the DHX (BO, PP, R) - that is ONLY one less adjustment?
Actually, the DHX has the air-pressure adjustment, so it's back up to 4. Pressure, PP, BO, and rebound...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
If you like to tinker with settings, I would highly recommend getting one. If you take the time to set it up, I'm sure you will love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
The DHX 4 has HSC LSC R and BO. It has no PP . Got to be a good thing.
Most quallity forks have the same adjustment now, it's not too much to get your head round
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
ccdb is nice but for the same or less you could get an elka stage 5 or an avalanche shock that's tuned for your bike, weight and riding style. better in pretty much every way. a shock that'sbuilt for you specifically will beat a ccdb any day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
qbert2000 said:
ccdb is nice but for the same or less you could get an elka stage 5 or an avalanche shock that's tuned for your bike, weight and riding style. better in pretty much every way. a shock that'sbuilt for you specifically will beat a ccdb any day.
I would tend to agree with you, but I just came from a PUSH'd DHX to the CCDB when I was told that they wouldn't be doing any more MX tunes (it was time to service my DHX).

The DHX, even when valved by PUSH was limited by the lack of oil-flow-control that leads to the spikeyness of the DHX.

Now, I understand the AVY is a kick ass shock, and if I could have found one for cheap, I woulda bought it, but both the AVY and the Elka lack HSR/LSR adjustment - they are both dependent upon a speed-sensitive shim for that distinction. Of course, they both have BO control which the CCDB doesn't have dedicated...so there are always trade offs.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,958 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Now, I understand the AVY is a kick ass shock, and if I could have found one for cheap, I woulda bought it, but both the AVY and the Elka lack HSR/LSR adjustment - they are both dependent upon a speed-sensitive shim for that distinction. Of course, they both have BO control which the CCDB doesn't have dedicated...so there are always trade offs.
The Avy does lack a HSR adjustment, but it most definitely has a LSR adjustment, and the knob most definitely controls LSR and not HSR. There isn't that huge overlap in the HSR/LSR circuts like there is with Fox products, which means when you adjust the rebound you are actually doing something that doesn't destroy the HSR action.

My point being that even if you go "max" on the LSR, it doesn't destroy the overall rebound. To be fair, the CCDB is dependant on a spring-controlled valve for the HSR, essentially the same as anything else, but yes, you can adjust the preload on that spring. I think you are assuming that the HSR needs to be adjusted or changed, I guess it's possible that it might have to be modified, but that is pretty rare. The "overlap" is what seems to make the Fox stuff poor. Adjust low-speed control (propedal) and it is harsh everywhere, adjust more rebound and it packs up at speed, that's the difference between Fox stuff and quality stuff.

The DHX, valved by push, was NOT really limited by the flow when they were doing the original "race" tune (before the MX tune). This tune gutted the shock and removed the propedal adjustment, but too many people wanted to retain the propedal adjustment, for whatever reason. Leaving that valve in was what contributed to some of the spiking, but this WAS addressed by push...just overridden by consumers :(
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top