Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used CCDB for my 2010 Del. It came with the spherical bearings already installed. I took out the one on the bottom and replaced it with a DU bushing and the appropriate hardware for the 40mm gap. The top one is 22mm and so I thought I would leave it in there and use it as is. Is there any reason why I cant be running the spherical on the body end of the shock? I know that Cane Creek and some bike manufacturers recommend not using them depending on the shock/frame combo.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

Buzz

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
Ran my CCDB on the DT with the spherical bushings.
When I went to the Delirium, Chad at CC recomended changing the spericals for the Fox std. ( Had the updated popet valves and a rebuild done at the same time )
...although he still thinks ( as do I ) that the spherical is a superior system, due to less binding etc...

I can see changing out the bottom due to the length and possible torquing, but the top mount should be fine without changing to the "inferior" bushing style.

JMO, YMMV

michael

·
Registered
197 Posts
The spherical bearings put more load on the fasteners and can cause them to bend or break at a lower load than a bushing which spreads the load. Spherical bearing are not needed in a Delirium (or any Knolly) as they are generally used to compensate for suspension designs that cause side load on the shock. The 4 by Four linkage isolates side load so the shock can focus on what it is designed to do.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a follow up to this question, is there a reason why most Deliriums have the reservoir (if the shock has one) at the rear and pointing down? Any reason why it cant be at the front pointing up? I have fitted my CCDB in the front/up position and there seem to be no clearance issues, is there some reason why I shouldnt be setting it up this way?

Thanks

Buzz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clearance is good either way.
However, when fitted rear pointing down, the bike can be clamped easily into a repair stand anywhere on the top tube. Also, for carrying the bike up unrideable terrain, it is easier to get a good grip on the top tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.