Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read these threads of guys and gals doing the CCCX. Seems like fun, but what type of training is required to a) enter b) enjoy and c) survive the race? What types of terrain do they have? Are we talking doing laps at demo? Laps around STCP (up radiotower, RR, up/down Stiles, up Joyce...)?

My typical after work ride (3-4x a week) is 16mi, and my weekend ride is ~30. I know I'm not in race shape. But I'm looking for goals to be able to hit in training.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,547 Posts
If you can hammer up long boring-ass fireroads (Kennedy, Quicksilver, Priest Rock, etc.) then you will have the stamina to master the Fort Ord CCCX course. More of a cardio workout than a technical ride, but with plenty of “rests” where you can coast down some of the hills to re-align your mental and physical bearings. Much easier than Stile Ranch or Rocky Ridge, by a longshot.

Since it is a multi-lap race, you can refine certain sections each lap—I almost ate sh¡t three laps in a row on the same stupid washed-out sandy right-hand corner, and I finally got it with confidence on the last two laps.

·
Is this thing on?
558 Posts
To enter Cat 3 you are doing plenty of riding. The terrain is more Norred and Fortini than Stiles or RR. Nothing even approaching Demo. It is mostly single track with short hills, nothing technical. Some sand in a few areas to make things interesting. A lap is usually around 5 miles, Cat 3 does three laps. The course is different each time but in the same area.

I did my first CCCX race in Febuary. My plan was ride a bit conservative, finish and try not to finish last. I ended up 15th out of 25 in my class with energy to spare. The atmosphere is low key and friendly. Show up early and pre-ride the course. It makes a difference knowing what you are in for during the race the climbs, sandy corners, etc. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yup exactly what Otis24 said. Do Cat 3 and try it out. You'll be fine if that is your weekly route and mileage. There are people that ride Cat 3 on Target brand bikes and they do fine as well.

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
The atmosphere is low key and friendly.
This has been my experience, and I'm the newbiest noob that ever noob'd a bike. I'd never entered a race in my life, and I just showed up (*), rode, survived, didn't finish last, and didn't endanger nor delay any of the legion of faster riders. And felt great at the end of the day.

Go for it.

(*) Actually, went out to the race area the weekend before and rode several of the trails. As mentioned above. Well recommended, just to take one element of uncertainty out of the equation.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,203 Posts
You might even be bored by the CCCX cross-country course :) It's great motivation for fitness though. Go for it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts