Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CC Double Barrel or DHX2 for DH bike ?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  294037 
#1 ·
I need a new shock for my DH bike.

Which one?

Is either one inherently a better damper?

I’ve had shocks from both and in terms of durability I’ve had better luck with Cane Creek. I know they had some issues with their in-line air. But that was a while ago. Kind of leaning Cane Creek as I am on the East Coast and turn around for repairs is better. I like being able to call a small company and deal with them on a more personal level as well.

On the other hand Fox has an off a lot of research and development going into their stuff and maybe the DHX two is a better damper.

I can get both at a good price.

#6 ·
Ghostbiker, why wouldn't you just get an Avalanche shock??? Larger shaft, oil reservoir, more heat dissipation, better seals, etc, etc.

I've been down the custom Avy tune path and can tell you the seal failure rate and sending it back to Craig along with the cost will get bothersome to say the least. Get HIS shock that was designed for his system to begin with; learn from my mistake!

Having said that, my CCDBA has been great on my Balance and I'll run her until she dies (then get an Avy shock as the rebuild costs are ridiculous at CC).

Have FUN!

G MAN

#16 ·
The Avalanche shock is good if you plan on keeping said DH frame for a couple years at least. As long as you get a different DH frame with the same shock dimensions, Avalanche can revalve it for you easily. As for changing the eye to eye and stroke on those things, the costs will add up. For rebuilds, I don't think they need to get rebuilt as often as the typical Fox or CC shock. I don't remember the service intervals. I love mine (Woodie) and if I do switch DH frames next year, I plan on transferring it over.

As for picking up an old Fox Van, or RC4 or even DHX and having it tuned by Avalanche, it's a good option as long as the cost of the used shock is low enough. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route either. For rebuilds, any competent shop that services shocks should be able to rebuild an Avalanche tuned Fox shock, as long as you have the IFP measurement from Avalanche. The seals might not be as high quality as the Avalanche ones, but whatever...it saves a few bucks.

I vote for the cheap CCDB option if you don't plan on keeping this thing and don't have a lot of bucks to spare. I liked mine when I had one on my trail bike. If you want to get all fancy, there are places that install a bladder in the reservoir over the stock IFP.

If you were to buy a new shock off the shelf, then Avalanche is the way to go. Fox is known for using the consumer as its R&D department. Some of the stuff they put out is overpriced garbage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.