Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new shock for my DH bike.

Which one?

Is either one inherently a better damper?

I’ve had shocks from both and in terms of durability I’ve had better luck with Cane Creek. I know they had some issues with their in-line air. But that was a while ago. Kind of leaning Cane Creek as I am on the East Coast and turn around for repairs is better. I like being able to call a small company and deal with them on a more personal level as well.

On the other hand Fox has an off a lot of research and development going into their stuff and maybe the DHX two is a better damper.

I can get both at a good price.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Ghostbiker, why wouldn't you just get an Avalanche shock??? Larger shaft, oil reservoir, more heat dissipation, better seals, etc, etc.

I've been down the custom Avy tune path and can tell you the seal failure rate and sending it back to Craig along with the cost will get bothersome to say the least. Get HIS shock that was designed for his system to begin with; learn from my mistake!

Having said that, my CCDBA has been great on my Balance and I'll run her until she dies (then get an Avy shock as the rebuild costs are ridiculous at CC).

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
Having said that, my CCDBA has been great on my Balance and I'll run her until she dies (then get an Avy shock as the rebuild costs are ridiculous at CC).
So instead of a $100-200 rebuild cost you'd rather buy a new $500+ shock?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
More like $800...and a cane creek factory service is $185 vs $170 for avalanche I'm not following the economincs here!!!
I was ball parking and could be off. A basic service on a Fox or RS shock is $75 ish, a full rebuild is $150 for inline and $200 for piggy back.

I was just trying to point out that a service is much cheaper than buying a new shock, which is what Gman was recommending. I'm not up to speed on Avalanche shocks or pricing, but I know Fox DPX/DPX2 starts around $500+. A Push ElevenSix goes for $1,200. I figure Avalanche is is near that price.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What doesnt you like in vivid? Harsh? :p
When it blows up on me it takes too long to get it back from RS. I seem to go through shocks relatively quickly. That said, RS just today, after I posted this, sent me a brandy new Vivid as my old one was beyond repair - something about internals being destroyed and disintegrated !?! I'd did get close to yearly service on the thing. They only charged be a basic service fee.

I'm not convinced those little dials on the Vivid make much difference. It also lacks what seems to be a HSC adjustment. It also has an annoying top out.

To add, I can get either a CC or Fox at well below retail. Otherwise I'd have looked at Avy for a rear shock. However, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to get out of my current DH frame. Getting a custom shock from Avy is an issue when it comes to resale. I wonder how much it costs to rebuild an Avy rear for a different frame (if even possible).

I would like to know if there is anyone out there who'd do a custom tune on a Vivid RC2 coil.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
More like $800...and a cane creek factory service is $185 vs $170 for avalanche I'm not following the economincs here!!!
1. The OP stated in the first post he needs a NEW shock; in a subsequent post he explains that the Vivid is essentially "blown up" and not serviceable. Do you honestly think the replacement is going to fare better when he already has a bad track record with shocks?
2. Ghostbiker suggest getting a Fox or Zoki and having it custom tuned... where do those shocks come from? Then add the $300 cost of the custom AVY tune? And then the subsequent $150 annual tunes they'll need when you blow out the seals every year like I did?
3. The price of a new Avy is $800. When you add up the $150 annual rebuilds for custom tuned OEM shocks vs maybe every 3 years for the Avy... what makes more sense? DID YOU ALL MISS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY RESPONSE?

My CCDB came with the bike on a pro deal so my cost was nill. Why wouldn't I get an AVY shock (which performs better) when the CCDB blows up instead of $200 rebuilds every year, especially when I can still move it on eBay for $200? It would take three years to cover the cost for the better performing shock and the money isn't the issue, performance is so...

Miker J... if you don't plan to keep the bike then just get the CCDB for cheap like you said and call it good. It's a decent shock and didn't have the reliability issues that the Inline had. If you really like the bike then I'd get the Avy; the economics aren't that bad if you plan to keep it for more than a few years.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can custom tune a vivid but I'm sure you will find someone closer to you.

The adjusters should make a noticeable change-the rebound dials especially have a huge range!
Yes. The rebound dials do make a difference. At least the LSR (or as RS calls it "Beginning Stroke".

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Picked up a new CC for real cheap.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The Avalanche shock is good if you plan on keeping said DH frame for a couple years at least. As long as you get a different DH frame with the same shock dimensions, Avalanche can revalve it for you easily. As for changing the eye to eye and stroke on those things, the costs will add up. For rebuilds, I don't think they need to get rebuilt as often as the typical Fox or CC shock. I don't remember the service intervals. I love mine (Woodie) and if I do switch DH frames next year, I plan on transferring it over.

As for picking up an old Fox Van, or RC4 or even DHX and having it tuned by Avalanche, it's a good option as long as the cost of the used shock is low enough. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route either. For rebuilds, any competent shop that services shocks should be able to rebuild an Avalanche tuned Fox shock, as long as you have the IFP measurement from Avalanche. The seals might not be as high quality as the Avalanche ones, but whatever...it saves a few bucks.

I vote for the cheap CCDB option if you don't plan on keeping this thing and don't have a lot of bucks to spare. I liked mine when I had one on my trail bike. If you want to get all fancy, there are places that install a bladder in the reservoir over the stock IFP.

If you were to buy a new shock off the shelf, then Avalanche is the way to go. Fox is known for using the consumer as its R&D department. Some of the stuff they put out is overpriced garbage.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
2. Ghostbiker suggest getting a Fox or Zoki and having it custom tuned... where do those shocks come from? Then add the $300 cost of the custom AVY tune? And then the subsequent $150 annual tunes they'll need when you blow out the seals every year like I did?
3. The price of a new Avy is $800. When you add up the $150 annual rebuilds for custom tuned OEM shocks vs maybe every 3 years for the Avy... what makes more sense? DID YOU ALL MISS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY RESPONSE?
EVERY shock should be rebuilt on average once a year, not wait until it "blows up". If it does within that time you need to change brands or find a better service centre. Avalanche themselves recommend an oil change every 6 MONTHS! And those aren't free so the servicing costs are irrelevant.

A (properly) custom tuned shock is great (remember that is literally what I do) but the CCDB is an excellent shock so if you can buy one at a fraction of the cost of something custom/boutique then its a no-brainer to me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.