Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Bottlerocket but have been wishing it could handle the rough rocky rutted downhill stuff better.
I'm being tempted by an SX trail frame ( 1 lb lighter frame and 1" more travel )
but would a Bottlerocket with a cane creek double barrel shock, set up correctly, be nearly as good in the really rough stuff as an SX trail with a stock DHX?
Has anyone gone from a Bottlerocket to an SX and regretted it?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
What shock to you have on there now? I've had a DHX, Roco TST and Roco WC on mine, all coils, and the WC is a bit better than the TST, which was WAY better than the DHX. I have no experience with the CCDB on a BR though.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
My bottlerocket only had a CCDB as I got it without shock and installed one. I haven't tryed a BR with any other shock. After building the bike, I wasn't satisfied with it's high speed performance. Small high speed bumps were trouble. It wasn't awful, it just beat me up more than I would've liked. I've come to realize now that the rough trails aren't the Bottlerocket's strong points. Another factor is the shock itself. I think after doing some research that Double Barrel's perform better on bikes with higher leverage rations. I.E: 3 to 1.

Even with all the adjustments backed off, the bike still felt too "skiddish" for my taste. I spent a bit of time trying to tune the shock for high speed chunder, but no luck. If I was hitting jumps or drops though, well that's a different story. Bottlerockets do great in this area and mine was no slouch with the CCDB. :thumbsup:

In the end, I got a bike with more travel. (A lot more...) Here was the bike in it's glory:

Attachments

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Pop an Avalanche Woodie onto your BR, with the dual high/low speed compresion adjustments. I race mine DH, no probs.
Feels great, the only way I could be happier is if I found a damn ti spring to fit it...

Highspeed small-bump compliance is all in the tuning of the shock. If your DoubleBarrel can't handle your bike, get something that will.
Will make a world of difference, and you'll fall in love with your bike all over again... I got mine with DHX, and hated the feel of the shock. It died soon after purchase anyway, and gave me all the reason I needed to upgrade...

I love the Avy/BR combo...even better than my R9/Avy for medium DH hits. BR pedals much nicer, and is more lively in the air.

Can't beat a shock that's tuned for you, your bikey, and what you ride! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
i had a roco tst on mine and i noticed that at high speeds the rear end felt like it was jumping around behind me. i had a totem on the front and it tracked so strait but but the was skipping and bucking me. thats why i am getting a blindside, when i bought the BR i thought i was into jumping from my bmx days, but soon found out i wanted the speed of downhill. i dont know if the DB will help but i know that alot of people say the BR is not the greatest in fast stuttery conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts