Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross post from the SC forum:

Just got a DBair CS with the XV can for my Bronson, set it to the recommended base settings with ~15mm sag, and took it for a ride. I expected to blown away, but came away feeling disappointed. Seemed to be blowing through travel and bottoming fairly harshly. Tried turning up the HSC a bit, but still felt like a pretty hard stop. My fork would have another .5-1in of travel and the rear was maxed.

These are on the same drops and trails I rode with the stock CTD shock. I actually never bottomed it harshly, even off of 5+ft drops and I liked the general feel of that shock. It just lacked at higher speeds, chatter, square edges, and fade.

I've got 1 large spacer in place. I was thinking of adding another spacer or two. Has anyone else run into any problems?

I've tried cranking the HSC and LSC to the max +/- and can't tell much difference from the driveway test at either extreme.

Am I missing something or could there be a problem?

I'm 165 riding and have it pumped to ~120psi

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd ask on the CC Lounge forum, but I noticed you have a XV can on there. Was that the recommended volume for the Bronson? Regardless, with your HSC cranked all the way in with large spacers, you should not be bottoming. I'm 240 geared up, and while I'm not doing 5' hucks to tranny's, I am aggressive and I'm always 5-8mm from full bump. Again, ask CC techs.

·
Ow!
775 Posts
I recently bought a Chilcotin with a DB air (not CS), so have been tuning that shock. I heard it was more difficult to set up, and it has been. Just takes a lot of time/adjustments, but it now works well, and I think it is kind of showing how my front fork (55 STA) is lacking. I started just setting it up like I have done other rear shocks, but that doesn't work. I loosely followed what CC has in their Tuning Field Guide. First step is to get the sag correct--more important for this shock than what I found for others. If the shock is functioning properly, then it will just take a lot of rides to work it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts