Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
My 210x50 DBIL coil is 670g with 500lb Vault spring. So not much of a savings!
Inlines are always going to be lighter than piggybacks. For me, I find the consistency with the Ohlins to be better than most suspension out there. I really like DVO also, but I've had more bad than good luck with CC suspension.

· Registered
207 Posts
The rear suspension on some Specialized bikes – Levo included – puts considerable side loads to the shock which can lead to shaft failures. Several brands have strengthened the shafts to counteract this problem.

All frame layouts which employ the yoke/clevis link have this unwanted feature since it's practically increasing the eye-to-eye length of the shock considerably, but some are harder on shocks than others.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rear suspension on some Specialized bikes - Levo included - puts considerable side loads to the shock which can lead to shaft failures. Several brands have strengthened the shafts to counteract this problem.

All frame layouts which employ the yoke/clevis link have this unwanted feature since it's practically increasing the eye-to-eye length of the shock considerably, but some are harder on shocks than others.
OK thanks. What coil shocks are suitable? Ohlins? DVO? Fox?

· Registered
156 Posts
Can you explain this?
The Cane Creek website explicitly mentions not to use the shock on Specialized Levo and Stumpjumpers. Ohlins is one of the strongest coil shocks and one of the few that I'd consider using on a Levo or Stumpjumper Evo. Other options that probably won't break are the Push 11/6 HD and EXT Storia. The Marzocchi Bomber might work because it has a fairly thick shaft but I'm not sure on how robust the seal head is.

· Registered
3,289 Posts
The Cane Creek website explicitly mentions not to use the shock on Specialized Levo and Stumpjumpers. Ohlins is one of the strongest coil shocks and one of the few that I'd consider using on a Levo or Stumpjumper Evo. Other options that probably won't break are the Push 11/6 HD and EXT Storia. The Marzocchi Bomber might work because it has a fairly thick shaft but I'm not sure on how robust the seal head is.
The Kitsuma and the old 9.5mm shaft Cane Creek DB coil are fine as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.