Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple of rides with my new rear shock on my Bronson v3.

I ride single track and don't really do many large jumps and no drop offs greater than 3 foot.

I'm after lots of traction and support over rooty, rutty, rocky terrain.

At the moment, over drops and jumps, the shock is maybe a little harsh on landing some jumps, but on other drops felt good at absorbing the landing and not rebounding too quickly.

Over some undulating ground, the rear feels a little too quick to rebound, but only on some occasions and not all the time. feels as though it want to buck me off. this is not from landing jumps, but rounding over some undulations.

On fast rutty terrain, over roots that are close together or over breaking bumps and stuff, the rear ending feels quite chattery, it does not feel plush or as though it is absorbing these hits in a smooth manner. This is really my biggest concern with the current setup.

These are the current settings.
Do you have any suggestions on what changes I could make to achieve that ground hugging plushness that I read about from coil shock users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and to test if what I think I should do it correct, I was thinking I should

reduce HSC by half a turn to make it quicker to react when hitting roots and harsh trail features
reduce HSR for the same reason.

the above two adjustments making the shock react quicker in both compression and rebound to harsh square edge type hits.

increase LSR compression to stop the bucking feeling, ie, slow the low rebound speeds.

lol. I could be totally wrong, hence my question :)

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Ok so first thing, there is no such thing as "correct" sag, it is a good indicator or starting point for set up but doesn't mean the spring rate is right. Personally I would recommend trying a 600lb spring as the first thing to change

So your "bucking" probably isn't strictly a rebound issue but with your high spring rate I do recommend closing the HSR fully and tuning LSR to get the feel you want, ie the bike should oscillate once or twice after a bounce. Bucking usually comes from the shock blowing through its travel too far then unloading that energy, so often comes from too little compression.

Then, I would try both 1 turn softer and 1 turn harder of HSC and decide which feels best. LSC is a fine tuning thing and since you are after both support and traction yuou may have to compromise one of those a little bit. Basically add more lsc if you need support, or remove it if you want traction

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
Every spring rate calculator has suggested 550lbs. Even Dougal suggest this rate.
I’m Not saying your suggestion of 600lbs is wrong.

I am using full travel on the trails I ride.
With the stock air shock, that was not the case.

I am reluctant to buy a harder spring when the 550 is feeling harsh.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Thanks.
Every spring rate calculator has suggested 550lbs. Even Dougal suggest this rate.
I'm Not saying your suggestion of 600lbs is wrong.

I am using full travel on the trails I ride.
With the stock air shock, that was not the case.

I am reluctant to buy a harder spring when the 550 is feeling harsh.

Have you tried any other rates? Regardless of what a calculator says it is always worth testing different rates. Spring rate is the #1 factor to dial in first so if that isn't right you will always be chasing your tail

I calculated your rate mostly based on your comment of looking for support, so used a frequency based on that. Dougals rates are generally a touch softer than what I would go with for the same situation, we've just come to different baselines for "ideal" spring rates. I ride coils both ends and sell them quite regularly so if we were going by matching frequencies I would find the 550 lacking in support

Also remember too soft of a set up can also be harsh, either because it is ramping up against the end of the stroke, the natural frequency is too low and not keeping up with the bumps, or softer spring rates allow higher damper speeds which generate more damping force. On that note, a "firmer" set up, ie less sag can actually ride softer or plusher. I'm not the only suspension tuner who will tell you this too

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Johnny. Appreciate that. Springs are only £40 so it is definitely worth a try.

I've just been through the Q&A process on the CC Dialed app.

It suggests (from my starting point above)

Open up HSC by 1 full turn
Open up LSC by 5 clicks
Close HSR by 1 turn
Open LSR by 5 clicks

Which would give

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Look like reasonable suggestions, except for maybe opening the LSR. I run a 400lb spring in my DBcoil and have closed HSR and similar LSR to that

My previous suggestions still stand with or without a new spring and that should narrow down the variables. Close HSR (or 3.25 runs in, there isn't much difference) and set LSR to suit and since rebound is more or less "set and forget" that only leaves HSC as the one that makes the most influence so bracket that one and you should pretty rapidly start to hone in on an ideal setting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.