Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me introduce myself - Tom. "Long time lurker, first time poster" here.

I am heading out to CB the second week in August. Originally, I was going to go with a buddy but things didn't work out and now I'm going solo. I'd like to meet up with some people to ride with. The rides I definitely plan on hitting are 401 and R-F-B-D. I've never done either one of those and have been jonesin' all summer to get out there.

I'm in pretty decent shape but will be coming from the land of Ahs (KS, a really old tourism slogan with that one) so unless anyone has some EPO or clean blood I can dope with I'll need a breather at the top of the climbs.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Tom

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
I have plans to meet up with a fellow Texan to ride 401 and 403 on Th, Aug 17th. Will you be there on that day?

I'm pretty fit, but have no problemo with the stop-and-breathe thing. ;)

clair

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately I'm there the week before that. I'm meeting up with some other people on the 12th to do the Monarch Crest trail then heading home on the 13th. Have a good trip!

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
You are going to love it. I can assure you. My first trip to CB was just this past late June. OMG. Amazing. Great riding, great town, great locals. I'm counting the days until I return.

Many recent postings of pix of CB here on mtbr.com, so you should have a good idea of what you'll see...

My breif write-up -

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=206870

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
El Salt said:
You are going to love it. I can assure you. My first trip to CB was just this past late June. OMG. Amazing. Great riding, great town, great locals. I'm counting the days until I return.

Many recent postings of pix of CB here on mtbr.com, so you should have a good idea of what you'll see...

My breif write-up -

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=206870
Thanks for the link - I'm actually looking at heading there (CB) as an option on the 4/5/6 of August. Reading the trail review section made it sound like everything was 75% dirt road and 25% singletrack. How did you find the trails on your trip? Is that an accurate measurement?

Hmm - apparently a wildfire just started about 2 miles from my house. Gotta go.

Thanks for any info.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Trails - Fire Road vs. Single Track

I'm not sure if my write-up made it sound like a lot of fire road or what, but no, I'd say that in CB (the trails I road), you can make of it what you want.

For example, the 401. You can make it over 50% fire road if you like, depending on where you start. We drove (dirt road) to Gothic, and then biked from there. If you do this, then maybe you are looking at 40 - 50% fire road to make a loop. If you start from town or Mt. Crested Butte, then more.

We road Strand Hill, but road from our Condo in Mt. Crested Butte. This made it maybe 60% fire road / pavement, but the trails that are actually the Strand Hill ride are 100% single track. For us, riding through town to get to the trails was half the fun. The Mounting Bike Festival was going on, so it was just a big bike party there, bikes everywhere, so it was cool to just ride. AND, after finishing the trail we'd ride right into town and grab a beer and lunch.

Snodgrass - we road this one right from the condo too. Maybe 30 - 35 % fire road / and a little pavement, but the trail itself is like 90% single track.

I also want to add, the trails we road (401, Strand, and Snod) were not overly technical, don't get me wrong, they are a BLAST, really fast / fun, but for those trails at lest, you won't need your DH rig. Your trail bike or even XC will be plenty. We were riding our 4" stuff, and it was great. The stuff on 401 is really fast and flowly, particularly this switch backy part through the trees and top tube high flowers. So cool.

I'm sure you've checked this out: http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/navigate.cfm?nav=biking.cfm

Anyway, I think you'd like it. From easy cursing to high altitude and fast semi techy bombing, you'd find something you'd like. Plus, the town is a blast. Many finefood / drink establishments!

***Forkboy - just looking you up. You're from Durango? Ahhhh, so you've never been to CB? This was my first trip (1k miles to get there), and we'll be back. Then you know we were in Durango, from the write-up. We had a blast there too. Next time, one week in CB, one week in Durango.***

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
El Salt said:
I'm not sure if my write-up made it sound like a lot of fire road or what, but no, I'd say that in CB (the trails I road), you can make of it what you want.
Nope - not at all - I was reading up in what's in the Trail Review section on here.

All of them list the trails as "25 miles. Starts with a 12 mile dirt road climb" or something to that effect. It looks like I'll probably head up a day before the rest of the group to secure camping facilities and get some maps / visit the local shops.

El Salt said:
***Forkboy - just looking you up. You're from Durango? Ahhhh, so you've never been to CB? This was my first trip (1k miles to get there), and we'll be back. Then you know we were in Durango, from the write-up. We had a blast there too. Next time, one week in CB, one week in Durango.***
I've never been to CB - with the trails here, and Moab for the off season I just never got the motivation to drive the 5 hours. I'm sure I've been missing out. Now I've got some friends up in the Denver area, and CB seemed like good middle-ground to hook up for some rides.

You can very easily spend a week riding in & around Durango and never hit the same trail twice. If you don't mind driving an hour to the trail, you can add in another weeks worth of riding in the surrounding towns.

The fire ended up only being about 10 acres. Never got closer than a mile from my house. Luckily the crews were all geared up for another fire across the valley and were able to divert a couple choppers before it got out of hand.

Thanks for the link. The MTBR trail review section hasn't seen much recent action.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Something many don't realize is 401 is an awesome out and back ride and you avoid getting coated in dust on gothic / schofield pass road. Start at any of the three road crossings: Judd Falls, Avery Campground or Rustler’s Gulch; and ride up the trail to the top for a special view. Turn around and fly down. The single track other than the cows issue is worth doing 2 times for real mt. bikers.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Ahhh, good deal on the fire situation.

Yes, totally jealous of your location. I'm here in the western Los Angeles area. There are trails (not of the caliber of Durango / Moab - come on LA guys, you know it's true...), maybe only a few miles away by car, but with the always enjoyable traffic here, a 5 mile drive could honestly take an hour to do.

We had a great time in Durango, even if it was only a couple of days.

Let us (mtbr.com) know how it goes for you in CB.

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
No talk of CB is complete without mention of Doctor's (aka 424). R-F-B-D comes in at #2 in my opinion. 401 is down around #5. I can only imagine what goodies the locals know and don't share.

As for Durango vs. CB, they are both obviously awesome. It seems Durango has a wider range of riding -- more PJ and Ponderosa stuff in addition to its high mountain ST. CB is all high mountain stuff -- there is lots of it and it is all very good. Add in Hartman's Rocks in nearby Gunnison and CB vaults even higher (and claims a new lifezone for riding). I'll take either any day in the summer, well over my own little mecca-of-some-repute in the desert.

hfly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. It's been a while since I've been to the area and the last time I was there I wasn't biking. One other thing, I'm debating between camping and staying at the hostel (which looks very nice). I love camping but the thought of showers and the cheap price makes the hostel attractive. Is the Cement Creek campground accessible with a 2WD, low to the ground car? Anyone have any experiences with either place?

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
hostel in Durango closed about 3 years ago, to make room for condos. Pretty cheap family owned motels in town.

Since I haven't been back this summer, not sure if it's reopened, but Junction Creek is accessible with a normal passenger car.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
tbondu said:
Thanks for all the info. It's been a while since I've been to the area and the last time I was there I wasn't biking. One other thing, I'm debating between camping and staying at the hostel (which looks very nice). I love camping but the thought of showers and the cheap price makes the hostel attractive. Is the Cement Creek campground accessible with a 2WD, low to the ground car? Anyone have any experiences with either place?
Cement creek is easily accessable via car, and a great place to stay if you're planning on hitting the Reno Flag Bear Deadmans. I posted my report about a month ago on Passion.

·
Registered
547 Posts
go to the Alpineer in CB, or Tomichi Cycles in Gunni. They'll show you trails that are 6 hrs of singletrack. 401 uphill is fire road DH is all single, Teocalli access is dirt road, 80% is single, Double Top just like Teo, Matchless same thing. If you want to poach some wilderness Dark Canyon is about as good as riding can be. (Don't talk about the poach in town)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which way?

SicBith said:
go to the Alpineer in CB, or Tomichi Cycles in Gunni. They'll show you trails that are 6 hrs of singletrack. 401 uphill is fire road DH is all single, Teocalli access is dirt road, 80% is single, Double Top just like Teo, Matchless same thing. If you want to poach some wilderness Dark Canyon is about as good as riding can be. (Don't talk about the poach in town)
Which way on DARK CANYON? Towards Paonia?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.