Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are 1 month into a 5 month road trip, with a main goal of riding wherever we can. We are currently in Sun Valley, ID (which has incredible trails) and keep hearing about the riding in Crested Butte. We didn't plan to go that far south before heading to the east coast (then to the SW come late October), but from the sounds of it, it may be worth the detour. Before we go hundreds of miles off our course, can anyone fill us in on how the conditions are right now for riding? We're clueless about riding in CO! Thanks.

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
rippling over canyons said:
I was there a week ago. Trails are fine and perfectly rideable. One of my favorite places on Earth to ride; not the most technical trails, but nice enough and oh-so-scenic!
Be prepared for near daily afternoon thunderstorms.

Happy trails.
I was there this weekend. It did rain this last weekend however the trails were in really good shape. Check out the 401 trail!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
things are more tacky-sweet than muddy right now, despite the monsoon. in fact, i can't even remember putting on my rainjacket once this year, although it is always with me. the monsoon generally tapers off by the end of aug., but as with any mountain area things could change in an instant, so just decide to visit or not and then cross the fingers. already a couple of aspen leaves here and there turning gold, if you time it right you will really get a show

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great news. And just solidifies our decision to go! We decided this afternoon that we're going for sure... leaving Sun Valley, ID Wed. morning and b-lining it for CO. We're still struggling w/ whether or not to stop in Moab as it's right on the way, but we hear it's hot as hell there right now, so we may stick to the original plan of hitting it in late November and risk cold snowy conditions.

We plan to hit Fruita of course, then CB, the off to Salida to hit Monarch Crest as we keep hearing that trail come up as a must hit. If anyone has any other suggestions of places to hit along that corridor, by all means, let me know. Looks like we're taking 15 (out of Salt Lake) to 6 to 70 to get there. Other than 401 and Monarch, we have no specific trails on our list. We've been wingin' it in every town we've visited so far and it's worked out pretty good. Thanks again.

cbmtbr said:
things are more tacky-sweet than muddy right now, despite the monsoon. in fact, i can't even remember putting on my rainjacket once this year, although it is always with me. the monsoon generally tapers off by the end of aug., but as with any mountain area things could change in an instant, so just decide to visit or not and then cross the fingers. already a couple of aspen leaves here and there turning gold, if you time it right you will really get a show

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.