Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a set of CrankBrothers Cobalt 29'er wheels for my Tallboy build ...are they any good for XC / light rocky terrain? Any more recent user reviews?

I'm comparing them also with the Easton Haven 29'er wheels (alloy).

Appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The CB wheels are getting a ton of bad reviews. 26 or 29.
Not to mention no one will have spokes for them.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
the sun ringle charger pro is a cheaper alternative to the Havens. stan's rim, wider than the Flow, but with eyelets. straight pull spokes. $450 including shipping at some online retailers. 1900 g approx. comes with stan's fluid,valves,all the front hub adapters you'll ever need, and rims are already taped for tubeless.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The I9's are pretty nice, but retail for over a $1000 (you can find them for less if you dig around) and use the Stan's rims with a straight pull spoke. I9 also offers a traditional J-bend hub, but if you are going that route, a set of Hope hubs with Stan's rims is a better deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
don´t know about distributors in the usa, In spain after paying 800 euros (1150 usd) for a 26 inch iodine set, you get no response when the rear hub starts gripping...

·
Registered
164 Posts
cachopo man said:
don´t know about distributors in the usa, In spain after paying 800 euros (1150 usd) for a 26 inch iodine set, you get no response when the rear hub starts gripping...
Im from Denmark and have a set of blue cobalts. After some play in the rear hub I just sent a email to crank brothers and they did sent me a new updated freehub from USA for free. great service ;)

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
frorider said:
the sun ringle charger pro is a cheaper alternative to the Havens. stan's rim, wider than the Flow, but with eyelets. straight pull spokes. $450 including shipping at some online retailers. 1900 g approx. comes with stan's fluid,valves,all the front hub adapters you'll ever need, and rims are already taped for tubeless.
I'll bet they are made from the same die as Stan's Flows. Flows have an external measurement of 28mm. Also the 28 spoke count bothers me.

Ronnie.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Fail Brothers is what they are known as around here, and they are local to me. Designer wheelset, the name goes on before the quality goes in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
they are LOUD

I demo'd a bike last summer that had the CB wheels and the freehub is annoyingly loud. louder than kings and hopes, and a less pleasant sound IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your looking at the Crank brothers wheels, I would look elsewhere, all the people I know who ride them have problems, not all the same problems but lots of problems none the less. Aparrently they are pretty soft and dent easily, spokes are hard to replace and the wheels are flexy as hell. Not my style.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Ronnie said:
I'll bet they are made from the same die as Stan's Flows. Flows have an external measurement of 28mm. Also the 28 spoke count bothers me.

Ronnie.
Probably not the same extrusion at all, since the Charger has a completely different rim depth profile than a Flow does. ;)

Sun Ringle' makes Stan's rims though, so it is the same BST rim bed, that much is identical about them.

·
Plant Eater
43 Posts
My colbalts have been flawless, maybe the fact that I don't ride them like all mountain wheels helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
cobalts

I personally like my cobalts for XC. I would never put them on an all mountin set up, but they are great on my AIR9. Also, the original cobalts were annoyingly lound but they have revamped the free hub in the new cobalt 3 and it is much quieter, nicer and smoother now.

I find alot of people who have not ridden them give them a bad wrap.

·
Plant Eater
43 Posts
I don't understand the issue with the spokes not being in stock at your lbs, call CB and order yourself half a dozen spokes CB has great customer service. Before I bought my colbalts from my lbs I called red barn cycles twice and still over a month later have not heard back from them. Red Barn was highly regarded by several members, maybe they can build good wheels I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying I will take my chances with my lbs and CB. Just so ya'll know my hubs sound sweet.

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
Thinking of getting a set of CrankBrothers Cobalt 29'er wheels for my Tallboy build ...are they any good for XC / light rocky terrain? Any more recent user reviews?

I'm comparing them also with the Easton Haven 29'er wheels (alloy).

Appreciate your comments!
The two wheelsets you are comparing are for different types of riding. The Easton Havens are wide all mtn wheels able to handle some abuse. The CB Cobalts are XC rims and are narrower so the tire profile would not be as stable and the rims would not be ideal for abuse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts