Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sept. 26th - Comin' in HOT!!!!!

7:00 AM - 4 Way Start - Brick Oven Lap Check-Ins

Lap 1 - Strand/Deer Creek (Teocalli?????)
Lap 2 - 403/401
Lap 3 - ****/Wagon Trail (whole thing on way home)

Last year there was a bit of an issue with the Deer Creek Lap (Lap 1) in that there was a pretty upset local Rancher who was collecting his cattle out there, and a slew of mountain biker's came through. Unfortunately, these Ranchers have some sway with the FS, and if he complains again, I'm afraid the Classic may meet some confrontation. So to avoid that, and if dictated by current conditions out there, we may be doing Strand then Teocalli Trail, and not Deer Creek. Similar in mileage, Classic trail, and even sicker descent (obviously that makes for a hairy climb, but Deer Creek is no walk in the park) Killer friggin views, and it would make a sweet change if we had to.

Lap 2 stays the same little beauty she is. (403/401)

Lap 3 - **** trail like last year- going through the Irwin Townsite, then the ever-sexy **** Trail, then back up the road on the way home. However, there has been even more track added to the Wagon Trail, and we will ride this whole thing on the way home. It knocks off the top part of the road climb, puts you in sweet track - a bit new still - but needs the riders and the love, all the way towards home until it hits the road at the end, the ride ends at the pavement, and the same love back at the Brick Oven

There will be a link coming soon from crankcollective.com - the fellas there will be mapping the whole course just like last year, and have it GPS'd with the details.

The same love at the Brick Oven, really looking forward to the 6th Annual - '09 BABY!!!!! Email with any questions/comments/ideas - [email protected] - Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
course of course

So any word on what the course is gonna be, and how much longer would it be with Teo vs Deer Crk, just curious, so long as I have wheels by then should be there.....Jefe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
course

Jefe - sorry so late my man - out of town. So it's official - going Teocalli - then Canal Trail about a 1/4 mile past the Teo exit, then up Strand Bonus, then Strand, then out the Lower bit of the Canal trail, back to Brush Creek Road, and back to town via the Deli Trail. So no - there is no Deer Creek Trail this year. I think it would be best to not upset the powers that be, and just do something different for a year. That way it will be further off the radar.

And as for mileage - almost identical - in time and distance. Teocalli adds another epic bit of track, and some sick downhilling for all the uphill effort. It will also allow more time for the pack to split up naturally on the road climb instead of sending a bunch of riders onto singletrack right away.

Don't know if you did the Vapor Trail or not - but hoping to see results for that, and to see you in a couple of weeks at 7 AM at the 4-way.

Crank Collective should have the latest for the course.

http://www.crankcollective.com/trailview.php?trailid=657&verify=9ed96d42a44a52b55d7dbe5a5bb0a3fd716b30b9

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poster

All the same madness at the Brick - bring your drinking shoes for afterwards. Avery throwing down like last year, and perhaps some New Belgium loving as well. Show up - throw down - get silly. Damn it's actually that easy...... - Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stupid snow

YES!!!!!!!!!! To hell with that white crap. We got about an inch in town, and it came in wet, but then froze. It's already melting today, and the sun is doing it's thing. They have made the forecast look less severe than already predicted, so let's hope they have it all wrong, and it's going to be SWEET!!!!
Friday and Saturday are supposed to be nice, and as long as we don't get more, all should be rideable - albeit a bit wet - but hey that's MTB'ing.

I am planning on having a car at the bottom of the first climb. So folks can be all dressed up warmly at the start, and toss clothes into the car before starting up the Teo climb, that way you'll be good and warm at the start and the neutral roll out. The car will then be at the Brick Oven for folks to pick up whatever was dropped off.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks

Dave, et al for this great event. I only had three weeks to prepare, and therefore I only completed the first two loops, I felt like I would be risking some long term tendon damage if I pushed my way through the third loop. I will certainly return with better training next year to enjoy this wonderful non event again.
As a former CB resident, I always enjoy returning to town to enjoy the riding, but this event was just over the top in coolness factor.
Special thanks to local riders Sarah and Becky, for helping me out with route directions and encouragement after my riding partner (who I was relying on for route beta, lesson learned) got sick.
Thanks again Dave, The folks at the Brick, and all the other racers who made this race a wonderful experience.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Finishing 2 laps is a feat in itself, more than most would do!

If you haven't yet, check out crankcollective.com and in the forum section you will find links to 2 very cool photo galleries from the day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trophy Photos

Results coming real soon - just gotta change format, but here's the trophy with the latest winners added. Jeff Irwin and Kelly Magelky taking first place together, and Eszter Horanyi taking 1st in the Women's. Damn this trophy gets harder to let go - it's just so damn pretty, and now a true Classic piece as it's creator has passed away this year.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts