Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding and racing buddy, The Clayton, and I will be in CB to ride 7/26-7/31. Plan is to chill 1 day for altitude then rip a couple days moderately, take in a few less demanding trails Wed to regroup and then an epic Thrusday and/or Friday. We fly out Sat.
I'd like to get it the 401, 403, Teocali and a side trip to do Monarch Crest. I'm sure there are lesser known narrow greats and it'd be a kicker to get shown around a bit.

We ride daily and will be pretty much ready to rip on short travel XC racing bikes. We want to get in some fast flow, but also some no-hurry high ridge leisure pace to fully absorb the scenery, beer and joys.

Anyone willing to offer some loops, best direction for riding trails( ride this trail in this direction) and other wisdom?

We're staying at the hostel.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Pick up a guidebook...the CB one is very good. Highly recommend Deadman's gulch (Reno-Flag-Bear loop) off cement creek, in addition to the ones you've mentioned.

I'd have to look at a map, but you can combine snodgrass-403-401 for a good epic. That was the first ride I ever did in CB...one of my fav's.

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
If you want epic:

Upper -> Upper Upper -> Strand (not all of it) -> 409 -> Double Top -> Reno/Flag/Bear/Dead

If you start with a car at Deadman's you get the road work out of the way early... then it's mile upon mile of sweet singletrack.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
now for some true epic-ness

If you want to ride epic try trail 583 to 400 or Reno>Flag>Doctor's>Deadman's or Canyon Creek (by Monarch 12,600). You must ride Crest>Silver Creek>Rainbow
pic is from top of 583 before going down 400. Have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
If you want epic:

Upper -> Upper Upper -> Strand (not all of it) -> 409 -> Double Top -> Reno/Flag/Bear/Dead

If you start with a car at Deadman's you get the road work out of the way early... then it's mile upon mile of sweet singletrack.

Are you suggesting this with one car? Park at deadman's and then commence to ride the road all the way back to Mt. Crested Butte? That sounds horrible :eek:

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
rubystreet said:
Are you suggesting this with one car? Park at deadman's and then commence to ride the road all the way back to Mt. Crested Butte? That sounds horrible :eek:
Naw - it's not that bad. I think it's about 14 miles into Crested Butte. We had breakfast at the cafe downtown after the ride in... then we cheated and took the bus up the hill. :D

IIRC it was a bit over 48 miles total for the day (we did 409 instead of Double Top).

·
Registered
288 Posts
First, take Teocali Ridge and put a big black sharpie line thru it. You may get other advice, but trust me, with 4 or 5 days to ride here, skip it. I ride it once every 3 or 4 years just to remind myself not to ride it.

401 in late July is what it's all about. That'll be a good lung test. Personally I think it rides best as a figure 8, park at Rustler's gulch, ride up the road, singletrack down to Rustler's, road to Judd Falls, singletrack back down to Rustler's. To make this a big ride, add 403 and snodgrass. Park at the Meridian Lake trialhead, ride up Washington Gulch road(wildflower bonanza), 403 to Gothic road(sick), left up to 401, road back to Snodgrass(it starts where the pavement begins on gothic road, snodgrass over to washington gulch, take a left back to your car. around 5 hours.

Other musts: Reno/flag/bear/deadman's(from deadman's parking lot, 19 miles) and Doctor's Park(from trail tail on Taylor road, pedaling up Spring creek road first). You can get creative and mix these together(the big ride version): Park at the climbing area just past Harmel's Ranch on Taylor road and pedal up spring creek road, take a left just past the reservoir to get up to the top of Bear, then downhill all the way back to spring creek road, then hit Doctor's Park.

The **** Trail.

The upper, upper upper, whetstone vista, strand(a must), ferris, and 402 are all great fillers or evening rides,
Tie any of these in with Deer Creek for a great days ride, circumnavigating Mt Crested Butte(go counterclockwise). For reference, Deer Creek alone as a loop from town is 27 miles, but you might as well throw in strand or 402 at the start and maybe snodgrass on the way home.

have fun and save some daylight time for sunny beers on the Brick Oven Deck

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
rubystreet said:
First, take Teocali Ridge and put a big black sharpie line thru it. You may get other advice, but trust me, with 4 or 5 days to ride here, skip it. I ride it once every 3 or 4 years just to remind myself not to ride it.
Is it still a mess from the motos? I remember riding it back in the mid-90's before it was a disastrous trough... then the last time I did it it was a mess. :(

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
rubystreet said:
<snip> and Doctor's Park(from trail tail on Taylor road, pedaling up Spring creek road first). You can get creative and mix these together(the big ride version):
Just don't ride from Taylor Park. The trail from Taylor Res to Dr. Park has been destroyed by motos. Unless something miraculous has occurred in the last couple years.

·
Registered
288 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Is it still a mess from the motos? I remember riding it back in the mid-90's before it was a disastrous trough... then the last time I did it it was a mess. :(
Yeah, The beginning of the singletrack across the face of Teo Mountain was way loose and chunked up, kinda unridable at times. Those climbs are routed steep and need to be hardpacked to clean, and the motos keep that from happening. Plus the black flies there in early august were hell on earth. Some of the downhill definitely has the ultra-trough going on too and is generally tore-up (dirt bike-o-rama). The down is steep and quick. I swear there is some sort of ripple in the cosmos that makes this trail longer up than down.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
rubystreet said:
Yeah, The beginning of the singletrack across the face of Teo Mountain was way loose and chunked up, kinda unridable at times. Those climbs are routed steep and need to be hardpacked to clean, and the motos keep that from happening. Plus the black flies there in early august were hell on earth. Some of the downhill definitely has the ultra-trough going on too and is generally tore-up (dirt bike-o-rama). The down is steep and quick. I swear there is some sort of ripple in the cosmos that makes this trail longer up than down.
That's a pity... the climb has always been in good shape when I've done it... that DH is another story altogether...

It's too bad because as far as a trail goes it has the potential to be one of the most spectacular in the area... and there's something about that basin up there by Teocalli Mt...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gunnirider said:
If you want to ride epic try trail 583 to 400 or Reno>Flag>Doctor's>Deadman's or Canyon Creek (by Monarch 12,600). You must ride Crest>Silver Creek>Rainbow
pic is from top of 583 before going down 400. Have fun!
Ya mon.!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The Avenger said:
I googled, but it wasn't obvious which one you're referring to. Which one do you think is best?
I really like "Mountain Bike Crested Butte Singletrack and Hartman Rocks in Gunnison" by Holly Annala. Its from 2002, so there may be a better (more current) book. You should be able to pick it up at any bike shop in town.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
slcdawg said:
I really like "Mountain Bike Crested Butte Singletrack and Hartman Rocks in Gunnison" by Holly Annala. Its from 2002, so there may be a better (more current) book. You should be able to pick it up at any bike shop in town.
Holly's guide seems prettty darn detailed and good reading before falling asleep in the evening the past few nights.

Saturday: Fly, drive, arrive, eat and sleep
Sunday: Set up bikes, Washington Gulch and another simple easy ride
Monday:401, 403, Snodgrass
Tuesday: Reno>Bear>Deadman's and an evening ride (****?)
Wednesday: Hartman Rocks in Gunnison.
Thursday: Monarch Crest>Silver Creek> etc.
Friday: 583>400.
Saturday back to Denver and home.
Sunday: Seafood and beer

I basically want to allow for some adaptation to the altitude, then take in some highlight rides in CB, chill for a day, and then hit two biggies. Comments? Is Big Al's good for shipping bikes to and back from?

Is there something else around Gunny that is easy on the legs and fun? A little recovery goes a long way.
-Al

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Raineman said:
Holly's guide seems prettty darn detailed and good reading before falling asleep in the evening the past few nights.

Saturday: Fly, drive, arrive, eat and sleep
Sunday: Set up bikes, Washington Gulch and another simple easy ride
Monday:401, 403, Snodgrass
Tuesday: Reno>Bear>Deadman's and an evening ride (****?)
Wednesday: Hartman Rocks in Gunnison.
Thursday: Monarch Crest>Silver Creek> etc.
Friday: 583>400.
Saturday back to Denver and home.
Sunday: Seafood and beer

I basically want to allow for some adaptation to the altitude, then take in some highlight rides in CB, chill for a day, and then hit two biggies. Comments? Is Big Al's good for shipping bikes to and back from?

Is there something else around Gunny that is easy on the legs and fun? A little recovery goes a long way.
-Al
You should use Go Big Mtn Sports 970-349-8900 Pete is the man! If you plan it right have Pete set up the bikes so they are ready for you Saturday. Ride Tony's>upper loop>strand hill for the Sat ride. Ride 403 to 401 not the other way you will hate yourself. +1 for Holly's guide, also look for the latitude 40 map, good for the overview. You can ride Hartman's all day... you may want to ride there more after the first day. Talk with some Gunni shops for loop suggestions, Hartman's rules!

http://www.alpineer.com/latitude_40_inc_c503.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts