Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and didn't come up with much. I was just sifting through my cosmic ray book and saw these trails and realized I hadn't ridden them. I'm just not that good with directions. I was just wondering how well signed or marked they are, and if there is a preferred route. The book has me parking at 32nd street, north of Carefree road. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Check out Kaolin at Flat Tire Bikes in Cave Creek. He will give you all the trail beta you need and is a super cool dude.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool good to know. I was hoping to go early tomorrow though, and won't be in the area today (live in Waddell). Thanks though.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks. How did you like the trails? I like group rides, but am always cautious and don't want to be an anchor. Maybe I'll see them tomorrow and will know if I can hang for a future time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
May ride there tomorrow, more than likely next week. Favorite route beginning from Go John trailhead is: Go John counterclockwise, right on Overton back to start, begin Go John again but this time right on Quartz, right on Slate back to trailhead. Lot of fast fun downhill on this route.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Cool, thanks. How did you like the trails? I like group rides, but am always cautious and don't want to be an anchor. Maybe I'll see them tomorrow and will know if I can hang for a future time.
Trails are not technical unless you hit the backside of Go John. They are VERY well marked. Lots of climbing. Personally I love this area. But then again I am a mostly Cross Country rider.

·
Black and Sticky
758 Posts
The basic race course that Flat Tire puts on is a great loop in the area. That way you hit a combination of the best trails with Spur Cross and Cave Creek Regional Park.

Edit to add: They now call it the Cave Creek Cactus Classic but it makes for a fun 3 hour ride with stops and the road portion goes pretty quick. Race Route | Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association
This...exactly. The CCCC race route is a super fun ride. As MtbAZ44 says, a fair amount of climbing but it's all rideable and not much tech. You will have a blast. Have fun.

Bob

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Trails are not technical unless you hit the backside of Go John. They are VERY well marked. Lots of climbing. Personally I love this area. But then again I am a mostly Cross Country rider.
I should clarify that the Cave Creek Race loop is not well marked connecting from Spur Cross to Cave Creek Park. But the trails within the two parks (Spur Cross and Cave Creek) are very well marked.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May ride there tomorrow, more than likely next week. Favorite route beginning from Go John trailhead is: Go John counterclockwise, right on Overton back to start, begin Go John again but this time right on Quartz, right on Slate back to trailhead. Lot of fast fun downhill on this route.
Thanks for all the insight. Good ride. I actually did this loop, couldn't get my phone to get online to see all the other suggestions, did this one, and it was a blast. Nice rewarding climbs. Great views. I want to go again and do more and incorporate whatever the Spur Cross stuff is. I briefly saw the bike shop doing their ride as I climbed up initially.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Thanks for all the insight. Good ride. I actually did this loop, couldn't get my phone to get online to see all the other suggestions, did this one, and it was a blast. Nice rewarding climbs. Great views. I want to go again and do more and incorporate whatever the Spur Cross stuff is. I briefly saw the bike shop doing their ride as I climbed up initially.

Cheers!
So how is the Go John Loop section -- Overton to Quartz, very chunky/tech ?

I need to go out there and see if any trail work has been done...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how is the Go John Loop section -- Overton to Quartz, very chunky/tech ?

I need to go out there and see if any trail work has been done...
Quartz is a nice longer downhill if you go clockwise. Not chunky, smooth and fast. Overton was done as a downhill going counter. Relatively tight switchbacks. But fast and smooth. There is a longer challenging climb going CW. Basically one long chunky climb. Whereas CCW is also a bit chunky, but it has sections. Little victories the way up that way, whereas CW is just one big victory, if that makes any sense. A bit of a chunky challenge, but both ways rewarding on way down. Fun ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts