Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Isisrider
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after years of mountain biking, I finally crossed over to the other side this past winter, and bought a road bike. I thought it would help with the training and give me a variety for riding when the trails are muddy. I have been riding quite a bit this spring, since it seems it has been raining alot. My longest ride, until yesterday was about 50 miles. But, yesterday I did my first century. I left the house with the intent of only riding about 60-70 miles, but I still felt good so I kept going, when I hit 80 I knew I had to make it to 100. Man, the last 15-20 miles were a killer though.

Just thought I would share.
Anybody else use a skinny tire for training or riding?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Skinny Tire Bro.

Congrats on the Century!
I've been using a road bike for about 5 years the same
reasons, muddy trails - recovery - base training etc.
I love it! My friends and I are "scenes" on road bikes though.
We show up for group rides with CamelBacks, Muddy MTB shoes,
etc. Paceline? Take a turn on the front? what are you talking about? HA!
Skinny or Fat just ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just started road riding also. I bought my first road bike in March and have been riding it for about two weeks. Longest ride so far is only 40 miles so far though. I don't enjoy it as much as mtn biking but must admit, I'm having a lot of fun. It's especially nice when we get a few days of rain and the mtn trails are to wet to use without damaging them.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
yeah I started road biking a bit during the last year I was at Ft Hood. Here in Honolulu the road bike is the emphasis. Just today we did a 31 miler to Makapu Lighthouse and abck to Diamomdhead and topped it off with some good crab/avacado omelets w/roasted potatoes at Bogarts Grill. Last week I kicked tail at the north shore metric century. It was my first road ride averaging over 20 MPH.

So yeah I think both mtb and road are damn cool.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Havent done a century yet..

ricochet said:
Well, after years of mountain biking, I finally crossed over to the other side this past winter, and bought a road bike. I thought it would help with the training and give me a variety for riding when the trails are muddy. I have been riding quite a bit this spring, since it seems it has been raining alot. My longest ride, until yesterday was about 50 miles. But, yesterday I did my first century. I left the house with the intent of only riding about 60-70 miles, but I still felt good so I kept going, when I hit 80 I knew I had to make it to 100. Man, the last 15-20 miles were a killer though.

I allways talk myself out of it. I ride the roadie alot and its impact on riding dirt is real evident.

This morning i met a group thinking we'd do maybe 35 or 40 miles tops and ended up doing 70 something miles with 5500' of climbing. Six hours in the saddle and im dusted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love the dirt...but must work for a living!

The closest trails (which I must ride to [no car] ) close at sundown!! :mad:

Therefore, on work days I have no choice but to "ride the road", if I want to ride (other than errands and/or the commute--also on pavement!) at all. It IS fun, though. Even solo. And, much faster (though I am one slow beast :D ).

Road or trail?? BOTH have their place!!

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I'd like a road bike, but I don't really have room for 2 bikes and money dsone't allow at the moment. But I do have a set of 700c rims on disk hubs to make the commute easier if the trails are too muddy.

Stu

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Uh, dude

Stuart B said:
I'd like a road bike, but I don't really have room for 2 bikes and money dsone't allow at the moment. But I do have a set of 700c rims on disk hubs to make the commute easier if the trails are too muddy.

Stu
Is there a reason that you have the skewer on backwards?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I too bought a road bike last year. My mtb is shot, so I'm building up a Turner Burner. It should be done within the next two weeks. I've only ridden off road once this year and that was a race. I enjoy riding on the road. The nearest trails are a 15 minute drive, so riding from my front door is great. As much as I enjoy riding on the road, off road is where my heart is.
I biked from New Jersey to Whitefish Montana several years ago. 3200 miles in 40 days. I did 17 centuries including a 163 mile day and 1200 miles in 10 days. I think it was the most amazing experience ever on a bike for me. I'm planning on doing a trip from Alaska to Connecticut some day. Probably not for another 3 or 4 years. I'm guessing it should be about 6500 miles and will take around 85 days if I average 75 miles per. I know I can average more than that. I rode my hardtail with a bob trailer. When I got to MT I bought some knobbies. After riding a bike that wieghs 85 pounds I was damned fast, I could climb forever with out stopping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lots of Roadies

ricochet said:

I think you'll find a substantial number of mouintain bikers out there are also road riders, including myself. Believe me, there's absolutely nothing that tops threading sweet single track on my 5 Spot. But, when I want 43 MPH descents and tight, rail like cornering, it's the road bike I'm riding. It's like I tell my freinds, when I'm into the four wheelin'(which is the bulk of the time) it's the mountian bike; when I'm into the sports car, it's the road bike. they both work you're ass pretty damn well!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
radbkr, that's one of my favorite things on the road bike. Cranking on a slight decline with a tail wind, cruising at 30mph and railing a corner. I love the feeling of leaning over into a corner and ripping through it. I just love dropping down a steep hill. Wow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.