Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a week of being sick and other excuses for not riding much in December, I have resumed my regular schedule. Today just because it's close and I wanted to get my legs moving, I went out to Usury and rode Blevins trail around to Cat's Peak trail, just to work a little harder and spice things up a bit. Rode counterclockwise, up the less steep side and was doing magnificently as I started down the front (steep) side. Rolled over a little step of 12 or 14 inches I guess, and failed to carry enough momentum. That combined with my weight a hair too far forward, resulted in a spectacular nose stand on the bike while still clipped in.

You know, that dead (emphasis on dead) vertical position just before gravity takes over, that split second when your brain registers, "Oh hell no!!", and you slowly plunge downhill and over the handlebars, dashing yourself on all manner of rocks and pointed stuff in the process.

The good news is, excepting a few scrapes and bruises, I came out of it laughing and not much the worse for wear. Bad news, I was by myself and it could have been catastrophic. Occasionally, the biking gods look down and say,"He ain't such a bad guy (and none too bright), we'll cut him a little slack this time!"

Hope to see y'all out there soon.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
wear armor. learn to tuck and roll. Never jam your hands out to catch yourself in an endo cause you will eventually break your wrists/fingers/hand bones. That's my advice (from someone who had broken both legs, shattered a wrist, broken a few fingers, multiple ribs, my shoulder, and my butt bone). I try to roll now... rolling is good.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
DurtGurl said:
wear armor. learn to tuck and roll. Never jam your hands out to catch yourself in an endo cause you will eventually break your wrists/fingers/hand bones. That's my advice (from someone who had broken both legs, shattered a wrist, broken a few fingers, multiple ribs, my shoulder, and my butt bone). I try to roll now... rolling is good.
You do a good job of supporting the health care system.

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
DurtGurl said:
It took sometime to learn but sometimes still break my fall with my hands.

This is one where I was glad I pulled back at the last moment and didn't use my hands., Thankfully as I prolly would have taken out my collar bone.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
good advice DG. however, when i had my - one and only - otb in '04 it happened so quickly there was no time span between that vertical moment and sitting on the ground with a bloody face.

rob, i'm glad you're "ok". hope to see you 2moro at MMP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.