Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cateye has finally unleashed it new light that myself and Sloane have been testing since last October. Not sure when the light will be available to the general public, but look for myself and Sloane Anderson rage'n on the set this year. Hell, Sloane already pulled off a 2nd at 24 Hour Nationals in Spokane on this setup. All the info is on the Cateye website and my blog. The Triple Shot is designed for the h'bar, while the Double Shot is a helmet mounted light. So far all of the training rides that I have done with this light is 2 thumbs up. There is more than enough light comming from the LED's and the weight is almost non-existant. Check out this LINK for more info on each light. I will post more comments on these lights as I get race time on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Neat

systems from Cateye. Looks like the 3W LED's are the most reliable ones to go for too since BLT and Nightlightning already have lighting systems on the market that feature these LED's

Any idea's on the pricing?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update Yo!

Just got a pre-production Double Shot to test out at 24-9 this weekend. This thing runs for a little over 5 hours...charges in 3 hours...is designed to mount on the helmet or the h'bar. Oh, and it's super tiny. I will get you guys more info after I race on it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
Jeff and I played around with this helmet light a little in the shop the day it came in. (Thus the dirty hands and apron in the pic!) We didn't tear into the thing, so Jeff will have to check on that after this weekends 24hrs of 9 Mile. I can say that it is LED technology, and generally, these things run longer on a battery. The pack Jeff got was tiny compared to other battery pacs I've seen. Also, CatEye said that the Triple Shot is good for only up to three hours, but both Jeff and his teamate Sloane have gotten solid three and a half hour runs out of the Triple Shot. I'm sure the Double Shot's run time has been given at an equally conservative rate. The Triple Shot battery pack is only slightly bigger. Stay tuned for Jeff's report coming Monday, probably. Go Jeff!

·
Registered
49 Posts
A little more info.
Battery- 10 A cells @ 2700mAh
Weight- Light head 200 grams, Battery 450 grams (measured).
Led- Luxeon LXHL-PW09 (3PLCS)

The little black box zip tied to the battery is the regulator. Near as I can tell theres just two settings, on & off (I would read the manual but that would be a sign of weakness). No different power levels or flashing modes. I like things simple so thats fine with me. It does not seem to have any kind of low battery indicator.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...

Guys...
I had a chace to race on the Triple Shot on July 30-31. It was at the 24 Hours of 9 Mile in Wisconsin. I was in first place at this race and had a lap up on the solo field before I had stomach distress. But before the sh*t hit the fan I was able to get in about 7 hours of night riding in on the Triple Shot. Here is my thoughts after racing on this light...

1. The Triple Shot IS bright enough to race on at full speeds. My top speed for the eventat night via the Cateye MicroWireless was 32 mph.

2. I rode along side and/or passed riders that were running HID lights from Niterider and LM and the beam and amount of light was very similar. I had comments on course from riders running HID asking what the hell light I was using.

3. I also noticed while riding with HID riders that the LED Triple Shot was a whiter/crisper beam.

4. I was getting about 3 hours 20 minutes run time on the battery compared to the claimed 3 hour burn.

5. There was some tight 90 degree turn sections where a bit wider beam would help on the Triple Shot. I talked with Cateye, and they said that they are working on that at the current time.

6. Light and battery is way light weight!!!!

7. I was unable to use the Double Shot due to a ball up at Cateye about getting the helmet mount out to me. No big deal though, cause the Triple Shot was enough.

If you have more questions, either post here, visit my blog, PM me, or e-mail me.

Plus Cateye has set up a website specific to these new LED lights...GO TO THE TRIPLE SHOT WEBSITE HERE

Also, note...
Myself and Sloane will be running the Triple and Double Shot at World's coming up here very soon. We are running different versions of these lights. Cateye is still trying to figure out the prime lens angle, etc. for fast night riding/racing. So far what they have produced is up to par with me for racing. No problems yet.

Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SingleSpeedSlave said:
Hi Jeff,

Any idea when these will be available to the general public? The price seems pretty reasonable, IMO..

Greg
I was told that a shipment already went out. I am not sure if that is in the USA, Europe, ect. I can tell you that myself and Sloane are still messing around with different versions of the Triple Shot to ge the lens angle dialed in. Also, the Double Shot is not yet available....I think :confused: The reason I say this, is because the version I just got the other day is a handmade prototype. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
I was told that a shipment already went out. I am not sure if that is in the USA, Europe, ect. I can tell you that myself and Sloane are still messing around with different versions of the Triple Shot to ge the lens angle dialed in. Also, the Double Shot is not yet available....I think :confused: The reason I say this, is because the version I just got the other day is a handmade prototype. I'll keep everyone posted.
Glad to hear they are working on the lenses. The one I have has a beam that looks like a target. A series of light and dark circles. I would gladly give up the bright spot in the middle for a wider smoother beam. Keep us posted on when they get it dialed.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
price of triple shot?

KERKOVEJ said:
Guys...
I had a chace to race on the Triple Shot on July 30-31. It was at the 24 Hours of 9 Mile in Wisconsin. I was in first place at this race and had a lap up on the solo field before I had stomach distress. But before the sh*t hit the fan I was able to get in about 7 hours of night riding in on the Triple Shot. Here is my thoughts after racing on this light...

1. The Triple Shot IS bright enough to race on at full speeds. My top speed for the eventat night via the Cateye MicroWireless was 32 mph.

2. I rode along side and/or passed riders that were running HID lights from Niterider and LM and the beam and amount of light was very similar. I had comments on course from riders running HID asking what the hell light I was using.

3. I also noticed while riding with HID riders that the LED Triple Shot was a whiter/crisper beam.

4. I was getting about 3 hours 20 minutes run time on the battery compared to the claimed 3 hour burn.

5. There was some tight 90 degree turn sections where a bit wider beam would help on the Triple Shot. I talked with Cateye, and they said that they are working on that at the current time.

6. Light and battery is way light weight!!!!

7. I was unable to use the Double Shot due to a ball up at Cateye about getting the helmet mount out to me. No big deal though, cause the Triple Shot was enough.

If you have more questions, either post here, visit my blog, PM me, or e-mail me.

Plus Cateye has set up a website specific to these new LED lights...GO TO THE TRIPLE SHOT WEBSITE HERE

Also, note...
Myself and Sloane will be running the Triple and Double Shot at World's coming up here very soon. We are running different versions of these lights. Cateye is still trying to figure out the prime lens angle, etc. for fast night riding/racing. So far what they have produced is up to par with me for racing. No problems yet.

Stay Tuned!
How much did you pay for the tripshot light? what's the warranty on it? did it hae narrow beam or medium flood beam? Does the clamp on tripleshoot strong enough to mount on carbon bar? carbon bar tends to have larger diameter than aluminum.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Answers to your Questions.

Q: How much did you pay for the tripshot light?
A: MSRP is $320 (keep in mind that is "suggested". You might be able to find it less)

Q: What's the warranty on it?
A: 2 year warranty on light/switch unit, battery, and charger

Q: Did it have narrow beam or medium flood beam?
A: More of a medium flood. The light as it sits now would be great for wide open fast singletrack. Some of the more tighter/twisty single track could use a wider beam. Add that Double Shot and it will solve this issue ASAP. Cateye is still messing with the proper beam angle.

Q: Does the clamp on tripleshoot strong enough to mount on carbon bar?
A: Oh, yeah! It comes with 2 clamps so you can fit it to different bar sizes. It's a very carbon friendly clamp.

Other questions?

LOTS OF INFO HERE ON THE NEW 'SHOT' LIGHTS FROM CATEYE

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The light pattern appears similar to mine. In the version I have the center is the brightest, but I seem to have more light going out to the sides. But, then again, I am judging based off of pictures on the Internet. I think people really need to see it in person to get the true idea of the light. If I get access to a good camera, I will try to get some pictures up for everyone.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DOJO said:
Will you able to post photos of Double Shot?
Also will it be a problem if I mount Double Shot on the bars? Or it cames only with the mount for the helmet?
There is a picture of the Double Shot in the 3rd post in this thread (see above).
I am going to try to get some beam shots here in the next few days. Camera access is an issue for me. Also, both lights come with 2 h'bar clamps for both h'bar sizes out there. The Double Shot is the only light that comes with the helmet mount. More info coming....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Tripleshot Qs

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the battery pack?

Will this light interfere with a wireless bike computer like the HID lights do?

Lastly, does anyone know a dealer who has these in stock now?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your Answers Sir...

Q: Can anyone give me the dimensions of the battery pack?
A: Width is 4.25 inches, Height is 2 inches, Thickness is 1 inch

Q: Will this light interfere with a wireless bike computer like the HID lights do?
A: Nope! I am running a cordless computer and a Polar HR monitor. The lights do not effect either.

Q: Does anyone know a dealer who has these in stock now?
A: Not sure :confused:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.