Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
All Mountainer
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a new cycling computer and i want one with a HRM.
I am trying to decide out of which one:

Cateye CC-HR200DW

or

Sigma BC 1706 DTS

So far to me both look good but reviews on the cateye dont look to good as there is alot of interference with the HRM however it has 3 displays on the screen which show all riding info i want to see. I cant find any reviews on the sigma but what i gather sigma will do good however it has a small screen and yu have to cycle through heaps of menus just to see certain data.

I would just like some help in my final decsision?

Cheers Jason

·
All Mountainer
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, well the cateye is looking good then. Another thing is, in a review, it said: it is hard to read in some lights with riding glasses on.

Do you experience this and if so with what lenses? and does the computer have to hang in front of your handles bars as im not to keen on that, can you position it behind them?

Thanks

·
All Mountainer
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i now have myself the cateye and it works great. I have only been for one ride with it so far wearing dark lenses on a fine day with no visible problems but they may change with different lenses and weather.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Love the exclamation point in the title.

My pick goes to Cateye. I was actually going to turn in a few words about Sigma being total garbage, and nothing compared to cateyes I've had in the past.

The problem I have with my wireless Sigma is that there are three units that are delivered with batteries and two were dead. No biggie, but then I found out first that batteries don't last long. Second, one must unplug everything at the end, which means removing the head unit, then the receiver. If they are stored near the bike, the battery will only last half a day before it dies (also can be some riding for a weekend). It's a terrible design, and I'm always left replacing batteries one by one to figure out which one is the culprit. I had a Specialized wireless computer in 2000 that was simple and forget about it easy, plus a backlight. As much as I slag that company, it was a good product and I don't use it today because I lost the head unit on a night ride. The batteries lasted forever. The sigma picks up bad signals and goes haywire a lot.

I had a wired cateye and really dug it, but the terminal connections weren't that great and after a few solders, I couldn't go any further with them. Great stuff, though. I'd pick them or VDO, but you'll pay for the latter. I don't know if they do HRM. For that, I use my Suunto watch, and their X6 has a bike pack with an XRM and cadence function and sensor for the wheel.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I haven't purchased a new bike computer since 1998...why?

Because after my third Cateye bit the dust in less than a year, I purchased a Sigma and other than replacing batteries every few years it has been bullet proof for 10+ years.

I can't speak for current product but if I was to purchase a new computer today, Sigma has at least earned my first choice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sigma I just bought is total crap. I have used Cateye since I was a young guy and they never failed. At least the wired versions. The Sigma I got was wireless. Nothing would talk to nothing. It simply would not work. I'm sure there is some reason why it didn't work. Doesn't matter to me. I won't buy Sigma anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.