Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the early stages of a cold. Sore throat, runny nose and sneezing.
What sort of modification to my normal training should I consider?
If I take take Dayquil I feel good enough to ride, but am I asking for more trouble?
Sagebrush is in two weeks and I'd prefer not to miss much riding, but I'd also prefer not to make myself sicker.
What say ye'?

·
Mudder
272 Posts
If You Don’t Have a Fever
You’re fighting a low-grade virus and while it’s a nuisance, it’s generally not a concern. Hard training will weaken your immune system and extend the bug, so you can train, just keep it easy. Do some of your skills work and easy rides, and leave the intervals/harder work until you feel a little better. You won’t lose any form and should be back up to fighting form pretty quick.

If you Have a Fever
This is where things get dangerous and if you push it, you can make yourself really sick. You have to take time off the bike. The rule is 2 days for every day you have a fever. I personally don’t wait that long. I’ll do short very easy spins while I’m sick (under and hour) and then wait until 2 days after the fever breaks to get back to any legitimate work. It sucks, but I’ve seen guys try to push the training through fevers and they end up having to take weeks off the bike. Better to eat a few days…

A few Other Things That Will Help:

1. Your immune system has to do a lot of work to fight a virus. It needs protein to do that work. So eat lots of protein while you are sick… especially lean meats, poultry, eggs, and fish (I think this is why Chicken Soup has become the “cure” for the common cold.)
2. Avoid sugar and junk food… they are inflammatory and will both make you feel worse and lengthen the bug.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.
It sounds like you have been down this road a time or two (or three.)
No fever, so I'll keep to basic training rides (as though I'm much into interval training.)

:thumbsup:

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Just a heads up

Broke That said:
Thanks for the help.
It sounds like you have been down this road a time or two (or three.)
No fever, so I'll keep to basic training rides (as though I'm much into interval training.)

:thumbsup:
There's a very contagious sickness going around 818. Had it since before christmas and just now startring to get over it. Doc says most people who get it are on 2 cycles of antibiotics, you think it's starting to go away and it just keeps coming back worse. Only been able to ride a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Some more food for thought from my experience, whenever I get the symptoms of a cold, it usually coincides with my tap dancing on the line between overtraining and breakthrough. I never get sick if I am riding leisurely, like never. But when I get serious about my training and really put the hammer down on some rides about three hours after a ride I will notice that sore throat start. Once I notice that, Its over, I know I am sick at this point and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I am still trying to recognize the symptoms before the cold sets in and am actually considering a training log to track my life so when it does begin to appear again I can slow down and recover properly. This last time really sucked. My power and stmina were getting really high, my resting heart rate was at 44bpm, my climbs were getting faster, all good things and BAM! cough cough snot and out for a week. I cant give you advice about what to do while sick, but I can suggest you keep a journal to see patterns develop before they become worse.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input.
I'm feeling much better today. But now it looks like rain will cancel our race for this weekend and the long term forcast doesn't look good for the Sagebrush race, although weather shouldn't stop the Sagebrush Safari itself, it will stop me from racing it.
I guess I've had my fill of racing in the mud.

:smallviolin:

BTW I just kept off the bike for the last three days. Decided to do some maintenance and order a replacement part or two.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Broke That said:
Thanks for the input.
I'm feeling much better today. But now it looks like rain will cancel our race for this weekend and the long term forcast doesn't look good for the Sagebrush race, although weather shouldn't stop the Sagebrush Safari itself, it will stop me from racing it.
I guess I've had my fill of racing in the mud.

:smallviolin:

BTW I just kept off the bike for the last three days. Decided to do some maintenance and order a replacement part or two.
Sagebrush is going to be a great race! Hope to see you out there! (don't be afraid of a little mud on your race bike/kit!) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whybotherme said:
Sagebrush is going to be a great race! Hope to see you out there! (don't be afraid of a little mud on your race bike/kit!) :thumbsup:
The last time I raced Sagebrush is rained, hailed and snowed on us. The last time I raced at Corral Canyon (Lake Morena) it rained all three days (collegiate race a few months back.)
I'm beginning to think its God's way of telling me something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.