Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I had my front tire completely come off the bead while riding at MMP. The tire fell off and the tube wrapped up around my forks. I luckily did not crash. I chalked it up to a weird incident and did not have the problem again. This was on my Salsa El Mariachi. I just built up a Dos Niner (geared) and put the same tires (took off the El) on similar rims for the dos. The rims on the El Mariachi were Bontrager Mustangs from my old GF Rig. The rims I put on the Dos are Bontrager Race Lites. I took the tires off the Mustangs and put them on the Race Lites.

While biking in Tahoe this past weekend the same thing happened. It was after I took a jump but the tire did not come off for about 50 yards after I landed and I was able to recover. Again, I fixed it and did not think much more about it.

The next day I took a 3 foot drop at pretty good speed and I went right over the handlebars. When I regained composure I see the tire came off again and the tube was wrapped around the forks again. I was shaken up good and slightly injured but all and all OK but this could have been really bad.

I run the WTB Exiwolf 29r tires and this has never happened to the rear. Again, this has happened on two different sets of rims.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the tires, rims, my weight (245)? I am at a loss but I certainly cannot have this happen to me again.....it literally could kill me.

any thoughts,
Ross
 

Attachments

·
No Clue Crew
Joined
·
7,668 Posts
What's the common denominator? The tires, right? Beads are toast. Buy new ones. If I'm misinterpreting what you wrote, disregard.
d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
That's the strangest mech I've ever heard of. I say try a new rim and tire. No way I could feel comfortable riding knowing there was even a possibility of that happening again.
 

·
Saucy Size
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
Bonty Race Lites are narrowish rims -- my first 29er came with a set. Exiwolfs are fatties. If you're on the heavy side and running a lot of pressure, I could see where narrow rim + fat tire = peeling it off the rim.

I've had really great luck with two sets of Flows and any old tire I choose to put on there -- Exiwolf, Rampage, and Bonty Jones so far

p.
 

·
AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
I'd like to take this opportunity to express my disdain for the phrase "catastrophic failure". How did this phrase become synonymous with tires failing? Technically the description is probably correct, after all I'm sure from the tubes perspective the blowout was absolutely catastrophic but in real life it just sounds over-the-top dramatic.

Have you ever described a flat tire on your car as a "catastrophy"? What about when you leave a drive through after a hot ride only to find out that the straw they gave you has a tiny hole in it preventing suction. AHHHHH the humanity!

When I read this thread heading I'm thinking there is some great reading material ahead. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE?! All sorts of scenario's are going through my head...did a fork break causing an endo resulting a steerer tube through the jugular?.......maybe a seat broke causing a devirginization by a 27.2 thomson post?......Oooh, maybe a connecting pin broke causing a nearby squirell to get strangled by the chain. Alas just some typical story about a bad bead on a big dumb tire. :prft:

By now I should know that it's just a tire problem but I still gotta check in case someone got dismembered by a rusty chainring.


Oh yeah, sucks about the tire problem man, absolutely tragic! :yikes:
 

·
Wood chips are stupid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Bigger

ruzz said:
Several months ago I had my front tire completely come off the bead while riding at MMP. The tire fell off and the tube wrapped up around my forks. I luckily did not crash. I chalked it up to a weird incident and did not have the problem again. This was on my Salsa El Mariachi. I just built up a Dos Niner (geared) and put the same tires (took off the El) on similar rims for the dos. The rims on the El Mariachi were Bontrager Mustangs from my old GF Rig. The rims I put on the Dos are Bontrager Race Lites. I took the tires off the Mustangs and put them on the Race Lites.

While biking in Tahoe this past weekend the same thing happened. It was after I took a jump but the tire did not come off for about 50 yards after I landed and I was able to recover. Again, I fixed it and did not think much more about it.

The next day I took a 3 foot drop at pretty good speed and I went right over the handlebars. When I regained composure I see the tire came off again and the tube was wrapped around the forks again. I was shaken up good and slightly injured but all and all OK but this could have been really bad.

I run the WTB Exiwolf 29r tires and this has never happened to the rear. Again, this has happened on two different sets of rims.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the tires, rims, my weight (245)? I am at a loss but I certainly cannot have this happen to me again.....it literally could kill me.

any thoughts,
Ross
Could you post a bigger picture of that? That would make a killer background.

Same tire? Try new one. You are a lucky SOB.

akdeluxe
 

·
Saucy Size
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
I think the word "catastrophic" is maybe like the word "theory" -- it has a jargon-specific use that's different from the common English use. But it is awfully dramatic! The only way to make a failure even more world-class would be to call it soul-searing or testicle-crushing.

Was your blowout a testicle-crushing failure, Ross? Because it sure looks like it could've been -- and that would've been a real catastrophe.

p.
 

·
.......................
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
ruzz said:
Is it the tires, rims, my weight (245)? I am at a loss but I certainly cannot have this happen to me again.....it literally could kill me.
I'd second that it's the tires: likely a destroyed bead. In addition, WTB 29er tires tend to fit quite loose regardless of rim. I've rolled a WW LT off an A719, and I weight almost 100 lbs less than you.

I'd look for tires like the Bontrager XDX or the Conti Mountain King, which will likely give you a tighter fit. Paul's suggestion of Stans rims is not bad either; installing an XDX on an Arch yesterday is the first time I've ever had to use a tire lever with big wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eabos said:
I'd like to take this opportunity to express my disdain for the phrase "catastrophic failure". How did this phrase become synonymous with tires failing? Technically the description is probably correct, after all I'm sure from the tubes perspective the blowout was absolutely catastrophic but in real life it just sounds over-the-top dramatic.

Have you ever described a flat tire on your car as a "catastrophy"? What about when you leave a drive through after a hot ride only to find out that the straw they gave you has a tiny hole in it preventing suction. AHHHHH the humanity!

When I read this thread heading I'm thinking there is some great reading material ahead. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE?! All sorts of scenario's are going through my head...did a fork break causing an endo resulting a steerer tube through the jugular?.......maybe a seat broke causing a devirginization by a 27.2 thomson post?......Oooh, maybe a connecting pin broke causing a nearby squirell to get strangled by the chain. Alas just some typical story about a bad bead on a big dumb tire. :prft:

By now I should know that it's just a tire problem but I still gotta check in case someone got dismembered by a rusty chainring.

Oh yeah, sucks about the tire problem man, absolutely tragic! :yikes:
Thank god you can read otherwise you might have thought I got a "steerer tube through my jugular"

I would say that while the result was not catastrophic the failure was. The type of mechanical issue I had was most certainly catastrophic and if it happened on other parts of many trails most certainly could have resulted in death or serious injury. Therefore the title "catastrophic failure" in my opinion is completely appropriate and trying to figure out what I need to replace or if others have had this problem is important to me.

I also find it interesting that you find "disappointment" in the fact that no one had lodged a post in themselves or had their jugular cut. Personally, I hope I never read a post like that.

Ross
 

·
It's a Sledgehammer.
Joined
·
357 Posts
eabos said:
Have you ever described a flat tire on your car as a "catastrophy"?
I'd say in some cases a tire blowout on a moving vehicle at speed is catastrophic.
One of my coworkers had a blowout on I-10 and his girlfriend in the passenger seat died as a result of the car rolling over as a result of the flat tire.

I'd not like to have a blowout going fast on six shooter, or geronimo. Or anyhting like that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
226 Posts
Buy your tires at Performance so you can return them at ANY time after ANY amount of use.

WTB tires have beads that stretch over time. Pretty weak if you ask me considering they cost $50.
 

·
AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
ruzz said:
Thank god you can read otherwise you might have thought I got a "steerer tube through my jugular"

I would say that while the result was not catastrophic the failure was. The type of mechanical issue I had was most certainly catastrophic and if it happened on other parts of many trails most certainly could have resulted in death or serious injury. Therefore the title "catastrophic failure" in my opinion is completely appropriate and trying to figure out what I need to replace or if others have had this problem is important to me.

I also find it interesting that you find "disappointment" in the fact that no one had lodged a post in themselves or had their jugular cut. Personally, I hope I never read a post like that.

Ross
I thank god everyday that I can read, it's a miracle really since I was blessed with the IQ of a dish rag.

You don't have to justify what you posted, my post was meant to be more of a joke than anything.

And no I don't find it humorous or look forward to people getting hurt. It's jesting that's all. No offense intended. :)
 

·
Sun Devils
Joined
·
323 Posts
Try something tubeless, I run High Rollers. They fit much tigther on the rim. Also, not sure how long you had the tire on, but AZ is not exactly friendly on rubber. I know before I ran tubeless my tires would get so weak from the heat you didn't even need a tire iron to get them off the rim. I've had the exact same thing happen to me going down National. So I switched to tubeless, I've had a lot of burps since then but no tire related catastrophies so far...Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
ruzz said:
Several months ago I had my front tire completely come off the bead while riding at MMP. The tire fell off and the tube wrapped up around my forks. I luckily did not crash. I chalked it up to a weird incident and did not have the problem again. This was on my Salsa El Mariachi. I just built up a Dos Niner (geared) and put the same tires (took off the El) on similar rims for the dos. The rims on the El Mariachi were Bontrager Mustangs from my old GF Rig. The rims I put on the Dos are Bontrager Race Lites. I took the tires off the Mustangs and put them on the Race Lites.

While biking in Tahoe this past weekend the same thing happened. It was after I took a jump but the tire did not come off for about 50 yards after I landed and I was able to recover. Again, I fixed it and did not think much more about it.

The next day I took a 3 foot drop at pretty good speed and I went right over the handlebars. When I regained composure I see the tire came off again and the tube was wrapped around the forks again. I was shaken up good and slightly injured but all and all OK but this could have been really bad.

I run the WTB Exiwolf 29r tires and this has never happened to the rear. Again, this has happened on two different sets of rims.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it the tires, rims, my weight (245)? I am at a loss but I certainly cannot have this happen to me again.....it literally could kill me.

any thoughts,
Ross
ruzz, i don't mean to be harsh, ---but i can not believe you tried to run the same tire ( not same type -----but the very tire ) that blow off a rim in the first place , ------then you tried the tire two more times ,------you must have a guardian angle or something .-----

never never ever run something that comes apart like that -------ever.

i am glad you were not hurt ------but you have got to have good equipment :eekster:

with luck like that you need to be hitting the casino and winning big !!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eabos said:
I thank god everyday that I can read, it's a miracle really since I was blessed with the IQ of a dish rag.

You don't have to justify what you posted, my post was meant to be more of a joke than anything.

And no I don't find it humorous or look forward to people getting hurt. It's jesting that's all. No offense intended. :)
No offense taken.....I read your post as being a joke. I was trying to hijack my own thread and see if I could insight a huge debate over the definition of the word catastrope. And yes believe it or not a steerer tube in the jugular can be funny......only if it is in the jugular of a clown.

see ya,
ross
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
akdeluxe said:
Could you post a bigger picture of that? That would make a killer background.

Same tire? Try new one. You are a lucky SOB.

akdeluxe
no other pics....that was taken on my phone camera.

see ya,
ross
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top