Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 492 Posts

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Yeah. But to the best of my knowledge this is the first break thats been reported on here. Its certainly not common.

And a good enough impact could snap any suspension fork at the same spot.
The fork has been out for about a year. I'm not bashing Niner and never had that intention when the thread was created. Niner makes great bikes, but there got to be something said about these ultra light weight carbon forks being suitable for riding on anything other than pavement.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
:confused: Isn't that what it's was designed for?

Uhmmm, no. The suspension soaks up a lot of abuse, I would never ride my rigid in the same manner that I ride my suspension bike. It is unrealistic to expect a rigid carbon fork to take the same kind of abuse without a reasonable expectation of early failure. My two cents.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Hope your friend has a quick recovery.

Why the critical questions as to how it happened or "what Niner will do about it" posts? Riding mtbs is risky, whether it be due to the trails, the rider or the equipment, something can always go wrong. It is the risk we all take when we ride.

Knowing if this guy was JRA or jumping off his garage does little to help you decide if the Niner fork (or any fork for that matter) is right for you. It was a year and a half abused fork. Could be any fork, any ride, any rider.

I understand the questions are partially to defend the product, for all we know the beginning of this "catastrophic" failure could have been caused last week by the riders garage door. But parts break when we least expect it. The margin for error gets slimmer as we try to go lighter with our part selections. Riders develop bad habits or get lazy due to suspension technology.

Accidents like this are a good reminder to pick bikes and parts for our intended purposes and keep up with our maintenance.

Once again, I hope the rider has a speedy recovery. Being injured sucks!
Since you recommend that we all pick bike parts suitable for our intended purpose, isn't it logical to ask how this happened, so we can decide if this part is suitable for our intended purpose?

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Uhmmm, no. The suspension soaks up a lot of abuse, I would never ride my rigid in the same manner that I ride my suspension bike. It is unrealistic to expect a rigid carbon fork to take the same kind of abuse without a reasonable expectation of early failure. My two cents.
I ride a front suspension, but I've seen guys ride full rigid in places I wouldn't dream of going even on a full suspension bike so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about taking 4 ft drops, then no. We don't do that kind of riding.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,310 Posts
That you lied about what happened and you have no credibility]
it's a bit ironic that falsely accusing me of lying has apparently gotten you your first (+) rep. I'm sure your normal "contributions" will even that back out after a bit.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
I ride a front suspension, but I've seen guys ride full rigid in places I wouldn't dream of going even on a full suspension bike so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about taking 4 ft drops, then no. We don't do that kind of riding.

You have seen. What have you done?

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Valid point smilinsteve. I would just hope your decision is based upon a more credible source than a random forum post.

I will agree that the anecdotal story portrayed here may raise a red flag and cause you to to actually do some research before you make a part choice. But there are too many unknowns here to actually base an opinion off of it. I see you have a history here and have probably seen info from a post like this suddenly taken as fact and re-posted as to why or why not to pick a part.

Fact remains, riding mtb is hard on parts, bad things can happen without it being anyone's fault. As mentioned, it was a 18mo old ultra light fork being ridden. That is a lot of time for a lot of stuff to happen that led to this crash.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
I know a few people with Niner Carbon forks. It seems like a lot of people really enjoy the ride of the fork, and find themselves riding harder and faster than they expected, which can lead to failure. Forgetting that you have a carbon racing fork on the front of the bike can lead to serious problems.

The fork was not built for the abuse that many suspension forks can handle. It was built as a relatively comfortable, lightweight alternative to the standard racing XC fork. You sacrifice strength for weight by choosing the carbon fork. It shouldn't be treated like every other fork, because it's not.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Come on... not even in the same ballpark. That fork obviously lost a battle with a huge rock or something. That is not "failed" in any way. In the same situation a steel rigid fork would probably be dented beyond being usable and a suspension fork would probably have holes punched in the lowers.
I wasn't drawing any conclusions; just posting to add to the readers information. :)

·
Ancient Astronaut
162 Posts
Regards to your friend,

I hope that at least part of the insurance money goes to getting a Turner, may I suggest a 5 Spot.

BTW I am in no way associated with Turner, I don't even think they like me too much,:D but I am sincerely grateful to them, for still building a bike as well built, as balanced, and as soo utterly enjoyable to ride and own, as my 5 Spot is.
I truly believe the world would be a better place if every body owned a Turner, since we would all be much happier, in better shape and with not having to replace or fix broken stuff, we would all have more time to ride.

PG

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Condolences to your friend. And by the way, for a sparkling white smile and minty fresh breath, I use Crest toothpaste! :thumbsup:

·
Professional Crastinator
6,023 Posts
I think for any race-weight part, the expectation of failure is (should be) the same, whether it's steel, Ti, carbon, unobtainium, or whatever. As the weight goes down, the safety factor/margin of error gets reduced. Smaller miscalculations end up resulting in bigger penalties. Unfortunately, in this case, there was no known warning of imminent failure. Really sorry for the guy involved. It's a huge shot to the confidence in your gear, too. Personally, I carry a little extra bike weight for that little extra peace of mind (not that the same thing couldn't happen to me even with my heavier parts).

And for the record (trying to stay on topic here), rigid forks gets beat so much harder than susp. forks. That's not to say the terrain is rougher. Just that rigid forks see very high stress since they are, in fact, rigid. And even more so when a smooth rigid rider is really hauling the mail and threading the needle and makes a mistake. I think in my case, I am expecting a tire/wheel failure under those circumstances - certainly not a fork crown/steerer failure. The weakest link should be the part that you hope would cause the least injury.

More close-up, high-res. pix, please!

-F

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My wife and kids got me a Tower for my birthday which is this Sat. I am soooooo glad I'm ditching the rigid fork on my Salsa El Mar. I've been worried more about the abuse toasting the DT than the fork itself. I try to ride rigid as fast as I can on my 26er hardtail and it sometimes pounds on me so bad my hands have nearly come off the bars.

I've completely given up on carbon stuff too; I just don't trust it.

Drew

·
Your Best Friend
5,228 Posts
Had to laugh at myself as I found my mouth hanging wide open while looking at the OP's picture. Wow!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think everyone with a Niner carbon fork would like to see more/better pictures of the fork, steer tube, head tube, etc., so they can inspect their own forks.

I have been eyeing one myself, but this may make me think twice. I am still trying to gain some peace of mind with carbon steer tubes on road forks. I am fine with carbon frames, seatposts, handlebars, but carbon steer tubes for offroad use make me nervous.

Thanks for the info.

41 - 60 of 492 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.