Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden both the Catamount trails and the Kingdom trails that could provide a comparison? I have heard a lot about the Kingdom trails, but will be closer to the Catamount trails on a weekend when i hope to mtn bike and do some hiking on Mansfield.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
stoneblender
380 Posts
If you judge by numbers, Burke has over a hundred miles of trails on one map. Catamount has about twenty. How many hours in the car extra? But don't limit yourself to Catamount, you can ride from north of Catamount to Sleepy Hollow in Huntington, mostly on trail. That's about forty+ more miles and doesn't include anything in Burlington proper or many of the potential loops.

How is this possible?

The Chittenden County-based Fellowship of the Wheel, a VMBA chapter, has been hard at work building trails and working with land owners. That's right, legal trails with signs and directions. But are they fun? Smooth buff singletrack, with a good mix of scary tech sound good? (Many of these areas are best hit by looping from an access point.) And you can't read about these trails in the NY Times, but you can at www.fotwheel.org.

My favorites so far are Mobbs Valley/ Hill and the Fairfax Dam trails. Many thanks to Hans Jenny for his vision, energy, organization and implementation. Please support VMBA and the Fellowship by joining or contributing. Info on the Fellowship website and at www.vmba.org.

BTW, Burke is a place that you don't want to miss. But for a short stay in the Burlington-area, it is a jaunt. Make a full day of it, if you decide to go. Kingdom Trails are also a chapter of VMBA and by far the most successful at building a complete network of multi-use trails. Go KTA!

John

p.s. VMBA Chapters built and protected nearly one hundred miles of trail last year. This year may not be quite that big, but the gains will be very significant and the areas added are some of the best riding in Vermont. They are also important because they are some of the first trails on public land to become legal. Before 2004, there was essentially one bike legal trail on state land in Vermont. Now, we are close to opening four state forests.

Check out this month's edition of Vermont Sports Today for a full rundown on the public land issue.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
It's different...

Kingdom Trails are epics (larger area more expansive)
Catamount is a fairly large area, but the trails tend to cross over eachother (spider web), it is a XC ski area afterall. But catamount does have a lot of different terrain for it's size. Flat crusiers, short steep climbs (technical), a bunch of XC race courses, a Mountain Cross course as well as a small terrain park (jumps, etc.)
If you are in the area this weekend check out Boltonvalley.com (35 minutes south of Burlington) awesome riding, also check sleepy hollow (a little more tech. than Catamount)
If it stays the way it's supposed to you're looking at temps in the 70's!!! (it gets HOT & humid as hell up here in august... Usually)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Information

Catamount and the other areas near Burlington sound pretty cool. Hopefully I'll be able to ride Catamount and the Kingdom trails but on different weekends.

I'm not a member of VMBA, but am a member of NEMBA which has a chapter in Vermont. Kudos to VMBA on the amount of trails built and preserved! I did some riding in VT near Bradford last month and was shocked by what appeared to be ATV damage on Old Buffalo Mtn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.