Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding ridgeline for almost 7 years and I have only had one snake encounter; a bull snake. Well, that is until today. I admit, I was very skeptical of the other two MTBR members that said they encountered a rattle snake last week. Not anymore. :nonod::nonod:

I rode up on this little guy just hanging out on the trail. He was small, only about a foot long, but where their is one.......................

Starting this week my son is playing T-ball on Monday and Wednesdays. So, how about a group rattle snake search on Tuesday at 6 p.m.? Ridgeline trailhead. I suppose we can also search for mountain lions. :p

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
Dang! It's the little ones that freak me out the most. can't see 'em or hear 'em before its too late.

·
Registered
642 Posts
:( Our vet said the one that took out our 12-yr old black lab (almost a year ago... RIP Pig Dawg I'll love you forever buddy) was likely a baby, because according to him, they don't 'ration' their venom, they discharge it all.

Lot of rattlers along the Front Range.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Dang! It's the little ones that freak me out the most. can't see 'em or hear 'em before its too late.
I moved here from Tucson. I have been surprised at the rattlesnake population around here. Not much different than Tucson. But, over the years I have run in to many of them. Never had a problem. I could tell you how many times I've been right next to them and on top of them and all that, but my experience doesn't matter because they are unpredictable. But in general, they don't want to mess with you, and with a little awareness, you will see or hear them if they are there.

The only time I heard of someone getting bit was this guy in Tucson who was off his bike taking a picture and stepped on one. He was in the hospital a long time with a serious leg infection. Not good to get bit.

I saw one at Rhyolyte (Quarry Mesa) last summer, and I've had people tell me they have seen them there as well. The one I saw was hard to see in the weeds, but she had the courtesy to give me a nice loud warning with her rattle.

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts
I've had my fair share of snakes from working in Rangely and Meeker. Hate the freaks of nature. Best part is opening up a meter shed and finding 3 or 4, 5 foot plus [email protected]#RDS in there. You learn to kick the door first, if it makes a bunch of noise, you come back later.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in! Coachline 6:15 - 6:30 I will be there!
Great! I will ride the loop doing all left turns. If you start your ride doing the right turns we should meet up at the trailhead that goes to the school. :thumbsup:

I will IM you my cell phone number so we can make sure we meet up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm guessing the rodent population exploded after that snake was killed.

It is a shame that snake was killed.
Yeah, I'm fine with the rodent population exploding, and given that one of those motherf*ckers killed my dog, I'm all for the 'circle of life' taking one of those bastards out every chance possible.

Not a shame at all to me. F*ck that snake and every other snake on planet earth.

I'll kill a rattlesnake ever chance I get.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Yeah, I'm fine with the rodent population exploding, and given that one of those motherf*ckers killed my dog, I'm all for the 'circle of life' taking one of those bastards out every chance possible.

Not a shame at all to me. F*ck that snake and every other snake on planet earth.

I'll kill a rattlesnake ever chance I get.
I just put a snake curse on you. Sweet dreams!

:devil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts