Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an aluminum melting foundry a few months ago. I have cast a few different items and now I want to cast a light housing for my bike. I can cast just about any shape I want but would like to have the electronics in hand before I start.
I have looked at many of the DIY lights here and now I am just overwhelmed with info! All I want is a nice Hi/low beam light, is there a company that sells a kit for the parts I need? or can someone tell me exactly what and where to order these parts? I would like to order all the parts from the same company if possible.
I want something bright of coarse but would like to keep it cheap (under $20?) so I can learn and build a better one later.

Here is the foundry I built and a couple pieces I have cast,

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Nice work.
I would build around an MR11 kit. Cheapest here. Its a simple on off but subsequent builds you can use a taskled driver for multimodes, and you can probably sell it and get your money back.
There is reasonable interest in cheap housings, a dual MR11 housing would be a hit and you'd probably have a lot of people asking you to build them.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Right I trawled the net for instructions and with a bit of bodging I threw together a tiny
furnace from a bit of box section steel and some old exhaust pipe.
I allready had a propane gas torch and bottle so all fired up away we went.

gathered up lots of small bits off ali and now have converted them into small ingots as in the picture.

I have used all my scrap including lots of swarfe and made 3 ingots next to get them onto the lathe and see if I can make another light like the one pictured.

The health and safety people would not like the set up and it was a bit scary and possibly very stupid so no pics of the set up Sorry:eekster:

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
I have used all my scrap including lots of swarfe and made 3 ingots next to get them onto the lathe and see if I can make another light like the one pictured.

The health and safety people would not like the set up and it was a bit scary and possibly very stupid so no pics of the set up Sorry:eekster:
Cool deal on the re-use. Glad nothing unwanted went up in smoke.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the links! I hope to get some castings done in the next few days. I need to finish designing the shape and decide whether to use lost foam, lost wax or do a pattern cast.
There are so many cool things that can be cast from aluminum, any shape you can cut foam into can be cast in minutes, most of the castings I have done so far took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. My foundry gets up to 2700 degrees F pretty quick so it only takes a couple minutes to melt aluminum.
I'll post some pics when I get one done. Aaron

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Cool looking forward to seeing the pics .

Now the bad news The cast ingots I have made do not machine well at all on the lathe
it seems so much softer than the bar I use for my lights
and it is like the monkey metal on some diecast toys so it looks like it is a no go for me
as machined lights.

it might be a way to recycle and sell the ingots for scrap though and then buy new bar for machining.

Hi Bruce Are you going to put 3 MC E `s in that housing when they are available.

Troutie

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Summer Solstice but hot

troutie-mtb said:
Hi Bruce Are you going to put 3 MC E `s in that housing when they are available.
Probably not. The current stuff should work fine I think.

First I thought I'd go with 3 R2s (or R4s if they come out in August/Sept) because of the constraints with battery and the TaskLED drivers. That changed recently with the ability of the bFlex to have an input voltage of 25v.

I'm leaning towards the 4LED+bFlex+18.5v now.

Does that sound like a bulletproof combination?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.