Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ARC Driver
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought choosing a tire could be so difficult. Since I cant make up my mind I'm going to let you do it for me. I'm looking for tires for dry, rocky AM riding, my criteria are based on the following: weight, traction and durability. Out of the following tires, which do you think would be the best option for me:

Kenda Nevega

Conti Rubber Queen

Conti Mountain King

Schwalbe Racing Ralph

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rubber Queen out of the list above.

However, there is no one tire for all riding. Unless you live in a 100% continuous climate area and never venture to other terrain.

I have many sets of tires, Minion's, Rubber Queens, Muddy Marys, Fat Alberts, Black Sharks, High Rollers and a few odd ones (don't plan on slimming down, either). The terrain where I'm at varies so much between short distances, as does the ground conditions due to weather.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
I think nevs are pretty mediocre in the back; slow rolling either bad braking or climbing traction. Not that great on hardpack, but decent for a pretty knobby tire. I sorta like them in the front with some of the transition knobs cut down, but not really on hardpack, where you miss those transition knobs.

CMK2.4 SS was a nuisance to run tubeless, and doesn't really excel anywhere. Not terrible anywhere either though, so a good all around tire. Very thin casing on the supersonic, which wasn't a problem for me in the forest, but i wouldn't run it in the back. The black chili rubber would prolly last a week in the back, i only rode it in the front, where it still didn't last that long.

The CMQ intrigues me, but i've never run one.

I've got a wtb mutanoraptor 2.24 on the back now, and i'm in love. Fast, grippy, sturdy, acceptable in mud, stable on hardpack. I'll replace it with another one when it wears out.

I really liked a bluegroove 2.35 i had on the front, but it's been a long time since i've run one.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
i love my nev up front, i hate it out back. ive ran a bunch of tires, but never really found any single tire that i liked both front and rear.

i think the ideal setup is a couple different tires that work best for you. im sticking with the nev up front.. there might be something better, but ive never felt even marginally let down by it! im on a mibro 2.25 out back which has terrible wet traction, but great everywhere else.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
pbbullpup said:
I never thought choosing a tire could be so difficult. Since I cant make up my mind I'm going to let you do it for me. I'm looking for tires for dry, rocky AM riding, my criteria are based on the following: weight, traction and durability. Out of the following tires, which do you think would be the best option for me:

Kenda Nevega

Conti Rubber Queen

Conti Mountain King

Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Add Conti Vertical to the list....

But really anyone into riding and traction is going to end up with a pile of tires, some they like and some they don't like, most about 3/4 quarters worn out, some only ridden a couple of times.

·
Registered
169 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Why don't you post on a local forum and see what local-to-you riders prefer?
Or ask the LBS what sells best?
Given that most people are like sheep asking the LBS for the best selling tyre will rarely result in the best tyre for your application

I ride with a dozen blokes and and about ten different tyres. Tyre choice all comes down to preference so save your pennies and try a few. Im still searching for a tyre that excels at loose over hardpack.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've used panaracer cinders for a long time and really like them, nice high volume and handle most conditions well

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
WTB Weirwolf FR LT best tire ever for what you describe!! Run tubeless, 25psi frt/ 30psi rr, with stans, fricken awesome!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm looking for similar tires for the same conditions, which of those are tubeless compatible??

Looking for tubeless for dry rocky conditions, with weight being the next important factor, then rolling speed.

Ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts