Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
no shoes no shirt no dice
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this even remotely belongs in the Weight Weenies forum but I came across this Kirk Precision Magnesuim Road frame on Ebay.

Ebay Auction for Kirk Precision Mag Frame At first I thought there might be another mag frame builder out there but then saw it was cast magnesium.

I then decided to do a little research and found the First Flight Bikes website that stated they made a mountain equivalent of the frame.

Since both frames are made of cast magnesium it would be interesting if anyone knows what these things weighed. They seem to predate the Litech frames by several years (though the Litechs are not cast).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,170 Posts
Look into the corrosion properties of Magnesium.

And tubes are far better structures to build a frame out of.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
the frames weren't really that light (compared to modern frames anyways), were only for rigid forks (even the MTB ones), and were extremely comfortable to ride and very durable. The "corrosion" issue isn't significant as they only offered them painted anyways. Most owners tended to ride them a decade or more and only retired them from cracks or crashes.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
DeeEight said:
the frames weren't really that light (compared to modern frames anyways), were only for rigid forks (even the MTB ones), and were extremely comfortable to ride and very durable. The "corrosion" issue isn't significant as they only offered them painted anyways. Most owners tended to ride them a decade or more and only retired them from cracks or crashes.
How stiff were those road frames?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.