Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I purchased a New Hone 2-ring with bashguard, New XT Shadow derailleur, new XTR Chain and now I am wondering if I should keep my cassette or not. It has 230 KM of use.

Should I just get a new XT cassette so the whole drivetrain is new?

Thx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Sure, why not, did the rest of the drivetrain "need" to be replaced?
Yeah. I chnaged frame and am selling the crankset and the front der with the frame. Sold the rear der and shifters to another person.

What I "need" is a Yes or NO answer...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The short answer is...

Yes. It's always a good idea to start a new drive train with all new parts. That way you are certain that there is no possibility of wear being a factor should you run into porblems with set up.

The long answer is. You could probably get away with the using the old cassette. However the cassette is the second least durable part of most drive trains. It's second only to the chain, which usually gets replaced two to four times more often than the cassette. 230 km isn't much mileage on a cassette it's likely still got quite a bit of life left in it. But as long as you're replacing all the other components of the drive train, why not start completely fresh? Like I said, the old cassette probably has a goodly amount of life left. So put it in the parts box as a spare just in case. It never hurts to have a spare. When replacing a drive train it never hurts to start from 0. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yes or no answer- Do not replace the cassette.

Rule of thumb to remember:
Chains wear out cassettes, but cassettes don't wear out chains.

A worn chain will rapidly wear out a new cassette to match it's "stretch" costing you many portntial miles of the cassette's life. But the opposite isn't true. Your worn cassette will have no impact on the life of the chain or other D/T components.

The only reason (other than gear selection) for replacing a cassette is when the wear is to such a point that chains don't run smoothly, or in the extreme skip on the most worn cog. In any case your 250km cassette has plenty of usable life and unless the new chain won't run (which I strongly doubt) there is absolutely no reason to waste money replacing it.

The only way I'd consider replacing your cassette is if I were selling the bike and wanted to advertise a totally new drive train as a selling point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.