Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,372 Posts
Depends on the range you need. If you're going from 1x - 1x, then it's literally dependent on whether you need/want the extra gearing. If you're coming from 2 or 3x, you can usually get the same range and save weight with even a heavy wide range cassette once you lose the front ring, shifter, cable, and derailleur.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. Depends what you mean by trump. If you can't make it up a hill with a 42 but you can with a 46, the 1/4 lb is inconsequential.

Look at it this way. Say you and your bike weight 220 lb (100 kg). Going up hill, a 46 will make it ~10% easier to pedal than a 42. You'd have to lose 22 lb to make it equivalently easy to pedal up that hill. That said, you'd be going 10% faster if you lost that 22 lb.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
IMO, achieving a particular target gearing (whatever works best for the rider and terrain) is more important than the weight of the parts to get there.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
There's actually a third aspect to this dilemma to consider, it's really; weight vs range vs price.

For me the XG1150 10-42 SRAM is a good middle ground for everything, gives me sufficient range with a 30T up front, is reasonably cheap and not too heavy. If the sub-400g weights shown on JensonUSA for the new XT cassettes are right then I might finally consider going 12sp; XT 10-51 $159 and 367g, SRAM GX Eagle 10-50 $215 and 450g.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
The 12sp cassettes and derailleurs are really big. I didn't realized how big till I put the bikes side by side with an 11sp. At least for now...if I need moar low...I'll go to a smaller front ring.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
XT to XT, going from 42t to 46t is more like 30g. Its hardly anything. For XTR, 45 to 51t is only 10 grams.

You gotta switch to sram cassettes to get those 1/4 pound changes, but the price quadruples too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.